University purchasing cards may be used for goods and off-campus services with the following exceptions:
- Airline Memberships—Prohibited - IRS taxable benefit
- Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco—Always prohibited with the exception of auxiliary food services
- Animals, Live Mammals—Laws regulate the purchase and handling of live animals; all animal purchases must go through the laboratory supervisor in the Vice President for Research Office.
- Cash Advances—Cash advances are only for travel, and a Request for Advance of Funds form is required.
- Cell Phone Services—Reimbursement is done through payroll.
- Charter Bus, Plane, or Boat—Because of liability insurance requirements, a purchase requisition is required.
- Chemicals (Laboratory and Research)—A purchase requisition is required to ensure compliance with federal regulations.
- Computers, Software and Related Equipment: Includes desktops, laptops, tablets, printers, etc— Items should be purchased through Information Technology (IT)
- Controlled Substances—Always prohibited
- Cylinder Gases and Liquid Nitrogen (Propane Is Permitted)—A purchase requisition is required to ensure compliance with federal regulations.
- Equipment Costs of $5,000 or Greater—A purchase requisition is required in order to ensure proper accounting.
- Flowers—Generally, only for decorations for University events.
- Food, Meals, Hospitality, and Entertainment—A Business Meals and Banquet form is required.
- Gasoline (Personal Vehicles Used for Business Purpose)—A Travel Expense Voucher is required.
- Gifts to Employees—Not allowable; however, presentation awards and plaques are permitted.
- Hazardous Materials—A purchase requisition is required to ensure compliance with laws regulating purchase.
- Internet Services—Reimbursement is done through payroll.
- Leases and Rentals of Real Estate—A purchase requisition with a contract is required.
- Memberships—Prohibited in civic, community, and social organizations. Professional memberships are permitted.
- Maintenance Agreements—A purchase requisition with contract is required.
- Michigan Tech Standard Letterhead, Business Cards, and Envelopes—If not obtained from the Michigan Tech Print Shop, a purchase requisition is required to make sure the order meets University standards.
- Personal Items—The purchase of any items that are intended to be used or consumed by University employees on or off campus for other than University use is always prohibited. Michigan Tech prohibits the use of the University purchasing card for personal purchases, even if the intent is to reimburse the University.
- Purchase Involving the Trade of Tagged University Property—A purchase requisition is required in order to track the disposal of the tagged property.
- Relocation and Moving Expenses for Employees—A House Hunting/Moving Expense Voucher is required.
- Renovations, Remodeling, Installations, or Repairs on Campus—Because of liability insurance requirements, a purchase requisition is required.
- Sales Tax—Michigan Tech is tax exempt. *
Tax exemption numbers for states are
- Michigan: 38-73-0627K
- Wisconsin: ES41033
- Florida: 78 20 083926570
See State Sales and Use Tax—Certificates of Exemption for forms and additional states.
- Services Performed on Campus†—Because of liability insurance requirements, a purchase requisition is required. Note: Off-campus services are allowable on your purchasing card.
- Weapons or Ammunition—May be purchased only by authorized departments
* If sales tax is charged and you are unsuccessful in getting it refunded, note on the receipt that an attempt was made to have the sales tax refunded. For orders through Amazon, for example, an account can be set up that won’t be charged sales tax.
† On-campus services provided by an individual require an independent contractor questionnaire. Find more information, see Independent Contractor Procedures.