Independent Contractor Procedures
An independent contractor is an individual or sole proprietor who is contracted to perform work for the University utilizing their own methods, and the means by which the work is accomplished is not controlled by Michigan Technological University. An independent contractor is normally engaged in an established business, trade, or profession.
Whenever a service is to be performed by an individual, do the following:
- Complete the Independent Contractor Questionnaire and submit it to the Human Resources Office.
- Once the University has approved the Independent Contractor status, complete the Independent Contractor Agreement.
- Forward two copies of the agreement to the independent contractor (individual) for signature and completion.
- Receive both copies of the completed agreement back from the independent contractor.
- Attach both copies to a completed and signed Purchase Requisition form and forward the paperwork to the Purchasing Department.
Purchasing will do the following:
- Verify approval, which is required for all services, except for services performed by recognized establishments.
- Sign for the University.
- File one original agreement for future reference.
- Send one original agreement to the vendor with the purchase order.