Michigan Tech uses the Canvas learning management system (LMS) for all course modalities (face-to-face, blended, fully online). Every semester, instructors are provided with a Canvas course shell for all course sections they are assigned to teach. Canvas is commonly used to provide students access to course instructional materials (including content pages, documents, and videos), administer assignments, quizzes, and exams, conduct online discussions, as well as share feedback and grades with students.
- Zoom is a cloud-based platform for video and audio conferencing which Michigan Tech supports for remote instruction and virtual meeting needs.
- To get started using Zoom, you can easily Launch the Software, Establish your Meeting Settings and begin Scheduling Zoom Meetings.
- There are various features that can be used while hosting a Zoom meeting to make the meeting more engaging for your attendees such as Screensharing, chat and polling. Zoom meetings can be Recorded and the recordings can later be Uploaded to Huskycast-Panopto.
- The Panopto-Huskycast video platform provides a robust system for delivering video content to your students.
- The platform offers automatically recorded lecture capture video in the classroom or allows the instructor to create recordings on their own device as well as uploading external content.
- The system provides a means for uploading and streaming the content to all registered students in a Canvas course.
- iClicker is a personal response device that allows each student to "vote" with an answer to a question posed during class.
- Students can register their iClicker remote in Canvas. If desired, scores from iClicker sessions can be uploaded into the Canvas grade book.
- Electronic clicker response systems have been used in Michigan Tech classes as a pedagogical tool for more than fifteen years.
- Turnitin is a commercial internet-based similarity system which checks documents against its database for matched content in an effort to prevent plagiarism. Turnitin will compare a submitted document to a student repository of previously submitted documents, website content as well as periodicals, journals and publications.
- A similarity report noting the percent-matched is available for the student and instructor to review.
- Learn more about the Turnitin.
- Canvas Commons is a learning object repository that enables educators to find, import, and share resources.
- Canvas Commons allows Canvas users to share learning resources with other users as well as import learning resources into a Canvas course.
- Learn more about the Canvas Commons.
Comprehensive Canvas training resources and courses offered by Instructure for all Canvas users.