MTU RedTeam Takes First at GrrCON 2022
GrrCON 2022 was a great success for the MTU RedTeam! Two black badges were awarded to RedTeam members for placing first in the OSINT CTF. The first-place team members were Josh Stiebel (Computer Engineering), Ryan Klemm (CS), and Sophia Kraus (Electrical Engineering). The three students jumped into first place on the leaderboard in the final six minutes of the competition, submitting three flags. In the Lockpicking Village challenges, RedTeam members Devon Midkiff (Cybersecurity) and Gina Adragna (Cybersecurity) placed first and second, respectively. Congratulations to all! Learn more.
Computing[MTU] Showcase Winners Announced
Thank you to all for participating in the Computing[MTU] Poster Session, and congratulations to our winners!
- 1st Place. Dominika Bobik "An Educational Modeling Software Tool That Teaches Computational Thinking Skills"
- 2nd Place. Niccolo Jeanetta-Wark "Performance Measurement of Trajectory Tracking Controllers for Wheeled Mobile Robots"
- 3rd Place. Kristoffer Larsen "A machine learning-based method for cardiac resynchronization therapy decision support"
- 1st Place. Shashank Pathrudkar "Interpretable machine learning model for the deformation of multiwalled carbon nanotubes"
- 2nd Place. Nicholas Hamilton "Enhancing Visualization and Explainability of Computer Vision Models with Local Interpretable Model-Agnostic Explanations (LIME)
- 3rd Place (tie):
- Zonghan Lyu "Automated Image Segmentation for Computational Analysis of Patients with Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms"
- Tauseef Mamun "When to be Aware of your Self-Driving Vehicle: Use of Social Media Posts to Understand Problems and Misconceptions about Tesla’s Full Self-Driving Mode"
- Dharmendra Pant, "DFT-aided Machine Learning-based discovery of Magnetism in Fe-based Bimetallic Chalcogenides"
- Chen Zhao, "Lung segmentation and automatic detection of COVID-19 using radiomic features from chest CT images"
- Abel A. Reyes-Angulo, "GAF-NAU: Gramian Angular Field encoded Neighborhood Attention U-Net for Pixel-Wise Hyperspectral Image Classification"
- Suresh Pokharel, "Improving Protein Succinylation Sites Prediction Using Embeddings from Protein Language Model"
Student News Briefs
NCSA Talk with Garrett Boyd. The Networking and Computing Student Association (NCSA) will host guest speaker Garrett Boyd at its weekly meeting on Oct. 18, at 6 p.m. in Chem Sci 108. Boyd will speak about his 14+ years of experience as a cybersecurity professional. Please note that the date of this event was incorrect in last week's Weekly Download. Learn more.
SENSE Enterprise Info Session and Great Lakes Research Center Tour. Meet the SENSE team, see our current projects, learn about Department of Defense civilian opportunities, and tour the Great Lakes Research Center. Free food! Oct. 19, 6:30-8 p.m., GLRC. Learn more.
Veo Robotics Internship/Co-op Opportunity. Veo Robotics is looking for an automation engineering co-op student to contribute to all aspects of workcell integration, from characterizing multi-DOF robot dynamics, to writing PLC ladder logic for coordinating workcell automation to be controlled from an HMI. Learn more.
Enterprise Day. Are you interested in learning more about Enterprise at Michigan Tech? Are you wondering which team is right for you? All students are invited to Enterprise Day on Oct. 18, 6-8 p.m. in the Rozsa. Students can learn more about Enterprise and talk with program staff and students from various Enterprise teams. Learn more.
Prototype Your Innovation Workshop. How do you communicate an innovative idea with stakeholders? Find out at this workshop, Oct. 26, 4-6 p.m., in the Alley Makerspace. Register by Oct. 24. Learn more.
International Big Data Management and Analytics Graduate Program. The Université libre de Bruxelles is seeking excellent candidates for the Erasmus Mundus Joint Master degree, a prestigious, integrated, international study program. Students studying computer science or computer engineering and seeking a study abroad opportunity are invited to apply. Learn more.
Make A Difference Day. This year's Make a Difference Day is Oct. 22, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Last year, nearly 500 Huskies gave back at service sites across the Keweenaw region. Learn more.
Student Events and Deadlines
- Oct. 18, 6 p.m. NCSA Talk with Garrett Boyd, Chem Sci 108
- Oct. 18, 6-8 p.m. Enterprise Day, Rozsa Center
- Oct. 19, 6:30-8 p.m. SENSE Enterprise Info Session and Great Lakes Research Center Tour, GLRC
- Oct. 19, 4 p.m. Doctoral Finishing Scholarships applications due
- Oct. 20, 4-6 p.m. Student Photo Op, Rekhi Hall (Get a free t-shirt!)
- Oct. 22 ACS Student Research Symposium, NMU; register by Oct. 12
- Oct. 22, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Make a Difference Day
- Oct. 26, 4-6 p.m. Prototype Your Innovation Workshop; register by Oct. 24
- Nov. 1, 7 p.m. NSF CyberCorps Scholarship Info Session, Rekhi 112
- Nov. 16, 11:59 p.m. Michigan Space Grant Consortium 2022-23 funding applications due at 11:59 p.m.
- Oct. 20, 12 p.m.: Karel Čapek and the Origins of R.U.R. with Jindrich Toman (University of Michigan); Library East Reading Room
- Oct. 20-22, 7:30 p.m.: Tech Theatre Company Performance: R.U.R.; McArdle Theatre
- Oct. 26, 12 p.m.: Americanizing the Robot: Westinghouse Electric and the Rise of a Global Consumer Icon; Library East Reading Room
- Nov. 2, 12 p.m.: Robotic Art as critical intervention: Petit Mal; Library East Reading Room
- Nov. 9, Weds., 12 p.m.: The Robot Plot. a
Panel Discussion, Library East Reading Room
- Nov. 17, 12 p.m.: Caution: Robots at Work, a Panel Discussion; Library East Reading Room
College Lectures and Events
- Oct. 19, 6:30 p.m. Info Session: BS in Mechatronics and Electrical Engineering Technology, virtual
- Oct. 21, 3-4 p.m. Computer Science Colloquium Lecture: Jun Wang, University of Central Florida, Orlando
- Oct. 24, 3 p.m. ICC Distinguished Lecture: Joydeep Mitra, Michigan State University, Rekhi 101
- Oct. 28, 3-4 p.m. Computer Science Colloquium Lecture: Scott Diehl, Google, Rekhi 214
- Oct. 28, 4:30-5:30 p.m. Student Workshop: “Technical Interviews: An informal workshop for CS and SE majors” with Scott Diehl, Google, Rekhi 214
- Nov. 18, 10:30 a.m. ICC Distinguished Lecture: Khalid Saqr, Tohoku University, virtual
- MTU RedTeam Members Capture First Place at GrrCON 2022
- Jun Wang, University of Central Florida, to Present CS Colloquium Lecture October 21
- Scott Diehl, Google, to Present CS Colloquium Talk October 28
- Scott Diehl, Google, to Conduct Student Workshop on Technical Interviews
- Dukka KC is PI of $432K NSF R & D Grant
- Khalid Saqr to Present ICC Distinguished Lecture on November 18
Computing Learning Center
Midterms are over ... Finals are coming! The College of Computing Learning Center (CCLC), on the first floor of Rekhi Hall, Room 118, is staffed by upper-level undergraduate students and supported by the College of Computing. The friendly CCLC coaches are available to help succeed in your computing courses. No appointments are necessary. Free. Open to all students taking computing classes. This fall, the Learning Center is open Sunday-Friday according to the schedule here.
- View the full Academic Calendar
- Monday, Aug 29: Instruction Begins
- Monday, Sep 05: Labor Day Recess
- Friday, Sep 09, 12 pm: K-day Recess
- Monday, Sep 12: Classes Resume
- Wednesday, Sep 21, 12 am: Career Fair
- Wednesday, Sep 21, 2 pm: Career Fair Recess
- Wednesday, Sep 21, 4 pm: Classes Resume
- Friday, Oct 07, 3 pm: Homecoming Recess
- Sunday, Oct 23, 12 pm: Spring/Summer Registration Begins
- Sunday, Nov 13, 11:59 pm: Spring/Summer Registration Ends
- Friday, Nov 18,10 pm: Thanksgiving Recess Begins
- Monday, Nov 28: Classes Resume
- Friday, Dec 09: Last Day of Regular Classes
- Monday, Dec 12: Final Exam Period
- Friday, Dec 16: Fall Semester Ends
- Saturday, Dec 17: Midyear Commencement
Do you have news to share? To include information in The Weekly Download, email to email@example.com by12:00 noon on the Monday prior to the week you'd like it to run. Questions about the newsletter? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To subscribe to the Weekly Download, please send your name and email address to email@example.com.