Student Events and Deadlines
- Transfer Student Event, Jan. 13, 3-4:30 pm, Rekhi 217, stop by anytime
- Info Session: ACM Programming Competition, Jan. 13, 5-6 pm
- Deadline: ACM North America Qualifier (NAQ) Programming Contest, Jan. 19
- Info Session: CyberCorps: Scholarship for Service, Jan. 18, 5-6 pm, attend virtually
- Deadline: 2022-23 CyberCorps: Scholarship for Service applications, Feb. 1
- Info Session: 2022 SURF Fellowship, Jan. 18, 2-5 pm, attend virtually
- Deadline: 2022 SURF Fellowship applications due, Feb. 11, 5 pm
- Info Session: Engineering Ambassadors, Jan. 18, 7 pm, MEEM 303, attend virtually
- First Meeting: Engineering Ambassadors, Jan. 25, 7 pm, MEEM 303
- Bob Mark Business Model Boot Camp, Jan. 19, 5-7 pm, M&M U113, registration required.
- Bob Mark Business Model Competition, Jan. 27, 4-7 pm, MUB Ballroom A; contestant pre-registration, attendee registration
- COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic, Jan. 12, 9 am-5 pm, Rozsa Center lobby, schedule an appointment
- Walk-in COVID-19 Testing, Mon-Thur, 9 am-1 pm, Rozsa Center lower level
- Dean Livesay's Open Office Hours: Fridays, 2-3 pm, Rekhi 223. No appointments needed.
Transfer Student Event Is Thursday
The College of Computing invites recent and incoming transfer students to an informal, drop-in event on Thursday, January 13, 3-4:30 pm, in Rekhi 217. Please attend this opportunity to meet fellow transfer students, learn more about Enterprise and student organization opportunities, and relax during a stressful week. See you soon!
Lectures and Events
World Logic Day lecture with Moshe Vardi, Rice University, Jan. 14, 11 am, “From Greek Paradoxes to Political Paradoxes.” Watch free online or attend a viewing party in Fisher 325, also Jan. 14, 11 am.
ICC Lecture: Benjamin C. Lok, University of Florida, Jan. 20, 1 pm, Rekhi 214, or attend virtually.
ICC Lecture: Michael Sacks, University of Texas, Feb. 7, 12 pm, Rekhi G005, or attend virtually.
CS Dept. Lecture: Brian Yuan (AC/CS), Feb. 18, 3 pm, Rekhi 214, or attend virtually.
ICC Lecture: Ajit Yoganathan, Georgia Tech, Feb. 21, 12 pm, Rekhi 214, or attend virtually.
CS Dept. Lecture: Emily Zhang (ECE/CS), Mar. 18, 3 pm, Rekhi 214, or attend virtually.
Computing[MTU] Showcase, Apr. 4-6, Rozsa Center
CS Dept. Lecture: Hongyu An (ECE/CS), Apr. 8, 3 pm, Rekhi 214, or attend virtually.
Computing[MTU] Showcase, April 4-6
The Institute of Computing and Cybersystems and the College of Computing will present a showcase of faculty and student research April 4-6, 2022, in the Rozsa Center. Activities include keynote speakers, a panel discussion, alumni presentations, research demonstrations and workshops, a pitch competition, and research poster competitions.
- Computing[MTU] Showcase website
- Propose a Workshop or Tutorial
- Make a Presentation
- Enter the Poster Competition
- Enter the Pitch Competition
Call for Posters
- Applications accepted until Feb. 28
- Poster abstracts due Mar. 10
- Final posters due Mar. 25
- Prizes will be awarded in undergraduate, graduate, and faculty categories.
Jump-start Your Cybersecurity Career
Students interested in jump-starting their cybersecurity career are invited to apply
now for the 2022-23 cohort of cybersecurity scholars. The deadline to apply is Feb.
An info session will take place Thurs., Jan. 13, 5-6 pm, in Rekhi 112, or attend virtually via Zoom.
The generous CyberCorps: Scholarship for Service (SFS) opportunity provides up to three years of tuition and an annual stipend to Michigan Tech students.
See full guidelines, requirements, and application information on the CyberCorps: Scholarship for Service website.
ACM Programming Competitions
Info Session: ACM Programming Competition
Download a detailed info sheet here.
Info Session 1: Thursday 1/13, 5-6 pm
Info Session 2: TBA
ICPC Rules - https://icpc.global/regionals/
NCNA Rules - https://ncna-region.unl.edu/
PhD Research Assistant, Robotics and Remote Sensing Laboratory (RRSL), directed by Dr. Ashraf Saleem, Applied Computing. The research assistant will work on the development of a robotics system for autonomous water sampling and measurement for 3D spatial profiling in oceans and lakes. More info here.
Windows Software Application Packager, Michigan Tech IT: Beginner level; responsible for building software packages for deployment using AppsAnywhere Software2 product and Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM); training provided; application deadline is Feb. 28; view position on Handshake.
Part-time Research Assistant, Reinforcement Learning and Brain Stimulation Therapy, with Dr. Xiaoyong (Brian) Yuan (AC/CS), Dr. Lan Zhang (ECE), and Dr. Chunxiu (Traci) Yu (BME). Both undergraduate and graduate students are welcome to apply. The research is focused on developing reinforcement learning algorithms to enable real-time closed-loop brain stimulation therapy. This is an ideal position for motivated students interested in research about AI and neural engineering. More info here.
The Waino Wahtera Center for Student Success is hiring students for fall 2022 positions, which include success coaches, orientation team leaders (OTLs), peer teaching assistants, and ExSEL peer mentors. An info session is Tuesday, January 11, at 4 pm, in Fisher 129. The application and a recorded info session can be viewed here. Applications are due January 17, 2022.
Summer Research Program Positions, USC Institute for Creative Technologies; multiple Research Assistant and Programmer positions. More info here.
College of Computing Learning Center
Everyone needs help sometimes. The Learning Center, on the first floor of Rekhi Hall, is open to ALL students enrolled in computing classes, and it's FREE! Stop by anytime from 2-5 pm and 7-10 pm, Sunday through Friday, and get the help you need for success in your computing courses.
- CCLC webpage
- Schedule an appointment (not required)
- Discord server
- Canvas page: self-registration
- Canvas page link
View the full Academic Calendar
Monday, Jan 10, Instruction Begins
Monday, Jan 17, Martin Luther King Day Recess
Wednesday, Feb 9, 10 p.m., Winter Carnival Recess Begins
Monday, Feb 14, Classes Resume
Friday, Mar 4, 10 pm, Spring Break Begins
Sunday, Mar 13, 12 pm, Fall Registration Begins
Monday, Mar 14, Classes Resume
Sunday, Apr 3, 11:59 pm, Fall Registration Ends
Friday, Apr 22, Last Day of Regular Classes
Monday, Apr 25, Final Exam Period
Saturday, Apr 30, Spring Commencement
Do you have news to share? To include information in The Weekly Download, email to email@example.com by12:00 noon on the Monday prior to the week you'd like it to run. Questions about the newsletter? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To subscribe to the Weekly Download, please send your name and email address to email@example.com.