- Assistant Professor of Finance, College of Business
- PhD, Finance, Washington State University
Dr. Knewtson earned a Bachelor’s in Actuarial Science from Roosevelt University in 1999, working in industry as a pension actuary. Knewtson earned a Master’s in Applied Economics (2010) and Doctorate in Business Administration – Finance (2011), both from Washington State University. Knewtson’s research focuses on insider trading and investor sentiment, with publications in the Financial Analysts Journal, the Journal of Business Research, the International Review of Economics and Finance, the Journal of Financial Education, and Managerial Finance.
Dr. Knewtson teaches Equity Analysis, Investment Analysis and Principles of Finance. Knewtson was inducted into Michigan Tech’s Academy of Teaching Excellence in 2018 and into Michigan Tech's Dean's Teaching Showcase in 2017. In 2013, Knewtson received the College of Business Administration Dean's Teaching Award as a faculty member at Central Michigan University. In 2010, Knewtson received Washington State University's Graduate Student Teaching Excellence Award.
Dr. Knewtson serves as a Director and Secretary-Elect of the Academy of Finance. Knewtson serves at St. Ignatius Loyola Parish as a lector and in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Marquette as a member of the Diocesan Finance Council. At Michigan Tech, Knewtson serves as faculty advisor for the Finance Club and as a member of the School of Business & Economics Undergraduate Programs Committee. Knewtson is a flutist in the Copper Country Community Band.
- Principles of Finance
- Investment Analysis
- Equity Analysis
- Insider Trading & Managerial Compensation
- Investor Attention & Sentiment
- Market Efficiency & Perceived Mispricing
- Knewtson, Heather, Wan-Jiun Paul Chiou and John Nofsinger, 2019, Paying Attention to Social Media Stocks, International Review of Economics and Finance, 59, 106-119.
- Knewtson, Heather, and Howard Qi, 2019, Managing Risk for Sustainable Microfinance, Journal of Risk Finance, 20(1), 2-13.
- Knewtson, Heather, 2018, Paying Attention to Student Learning in Principles of Finance, Journal of Financial Education, 44(2), 246-261.
- Knewtson, Heather, 2014, Leading a Mock Trading Floor: Active-Based Learning in a Business Context, Journal of Accounting and Finance 14, 11-19. (lead article)
- Knewtson, Heather, and John Nofsinger, 2014, Why are CFO Insider Trades More Informative? Managerial Finance 40, 157-175.
- Knewtson, Heather S., Richard W. Sias, and David A. Whidbee, 2010, Style Timing with Insiders, Financial Analysts Journal 66, 46-66.
- Knewtson, Heather S., and Richard W. Sias, 2010, Why Susie Owns Starbucks: The Name Letter Effect in Security Selection, Journal of Business Research, 63, 1324-1327.