Running effective meetings takes practice and following the 5 P’s can help!
- Why is the meeting being held?
- Make Decisions, Brainstorming, Community Building etc.
- Decide who will be invited to the meeting
- What roles they will play?
- Make an agenda
- Should be available to participants with plenty of time for preparation.
- How will individuals be involved in the meeting?
- Provide Instructions
- Introduce meeting participants to each other
- Establish Ground Rules
- Communicate the amount of participation expected
- Establish Decision Rules
- Communicate how decisions will be made as per your organization’s constitution.
- Evaluate the meeting
- Take an anonymous survey asking specific questions to general membership.
- Discuss how the meeting went at your next Executive Board gathering to see how you can improve.
Adapted from: Cameron, Kim and Whetten, David. Developing Management Skills. 6th ed. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 2004. 584-589.
Hosting virtual meetings? Click here for more resources
Student Leadership & Involvement offers one-on-one advising for student organizations looking to improve their organizational meetings. Please email email@example.com for more information.