Student groups must be officially registered as a student organization with Student Leadership & Involvement in order to receive certain privileges granted by the University. Please see the Benefits of Becoming a Registered Student Organization list for more details.
New student organization registrations are accepted by student activities beginning
in October of the academic year, and shall be valid from the date of approval for
one year, or until the registration deadline of the following fall semester, whichever
is sooner. Student organizations MUST re-register each year in the fall.
How to Create a New Student Organization
1. Check the list of existing student organizations on Involvement Link to verify that there is not an organization already dedicated to your interests.
2. Find 10 interested students to be members of your organization. These members can include the proposed officers.
- A new organization normally lists four officers: President, VP, Treasurer, and Secretary; however, a minimum of 3 officers must be selected.
- A new organization must list a Primary Contact who is an enrolled student at Michigan tech. (This is usually the President.)
- Officers must maintain a minimum of a 2.25 GPA, both cumulative and most recent semester.
3. Your organization name must be in good taste and reflect the purpose of the organization. If Michigan Tech’s name is used, it must FOLLOW the name. (For example, Ridge Roamers at Michigan Tech, or Anthropological Society at Michigan Tech.)
4. Find a full-time regular (not temporary) employee of the university, either faculty or staff, willing to be the organization’s advisor. For more information on the role of a student organization advisor, please see the Advisor Statement. If you need assistance in identifying an advisor for your organization, please contact Student Leadership & Involvement for assistance.
5. Complete the Organization Registration Form and Membership List. These documents must include:
- The names, email addresses, and titles of the officers to be identified on Involvement Link
- The name, email, and signature of your faculty/staff advisor
- The names and email addresses of at lease 10 organization members (can include officers)
- The name of the organization
- A description and purpose(s) of the organization
- Michigan Tech's most recent Equal Opportunity Statement (currently dated 2011)
- A statement that a change in the organization's advisor must be approved by Student Leadership & Involvement
- A statement that a change in the organization's constitution or by-laws must be approved by Student Leadership & Involvement
7. Schedule an appointment with a staff member in Student Leadership & Involvement to review completed paperwork. (Student Leadership & Involvement is located in MUB 112, and can be reached by calling 906-487-1963 or emailing email@example.com) Completed paperwork must include:
- Student Organization Registration Form
- Student Organization Membership List
- Your Organization’s Constitution
8. You will receive notification of official registration via email.
- An Involvement Link page will be set up for your new organization. Officers named will have administrative access to this page. At this time, you may upload photos, revise the profile, add members, create additional officer positions, create forms, post your events, etc. You MUST upload your constitution and file under "Documents," and keep officers and membership rosters updated at all times.
*Any student or groups of students requesting to create a new registered fraternity or sorority, or recolonize a fraternity or sorority that previously existed at Michigan Technological University, must complete the appropriate approval procedures with either Interfraternity Council (fraternities) or Panhellenic Council (sororities) before final review by Student Leadership & Involvement.