Open registration for new registered student organizations for 2022-2023 begins on October 3rd, 2022.
Interest groups can be formed at anytime! Please see the resources below to form an interest group and prepare for open registration. Email email@example.com with questions regarding the new RSO process.
New student organization registrations are accepted by Student Leadership & Involvement beginning in mid October of the academic year, and status is valid from the date of approval for one year, or until the registration deadline of the following fall semester. Students interested in starting a new student organization are able to form an interest group at any time - this is a great way to begin the process of creating a new RSO.
Established student organizations MUST re-register each year in the fall semester. More on re-registration can be found here.
How to Create a New Student Organization
Check the list of existing student organizations on Involvement Link to verify that there is not an organization already dedicated to your interests.
If there is not, this begins the process of starting an interest group and becoming a new student organization!
- Find at least three people to fill the three required officer positions: President,
Secretary, and Treasurer.
Officers must maintain a minimum of a 2.25 GPA, both cumulative and most recent semester.
- The minimum requirement to establish a student org has been reduced to six members
including three officers- a President, Secretary, and Treasurer. The three positions
must be filled by different members.
- Interest groups are welcome to recruit and participate in events as they work on becoming an org.
- Find a full-time regular (not temporary) employee of the university, either faculty or staff, willing to be the organization’s advisor.
Select a organization name. RSO names must be in good taste and reflect the RSO's purpose.
Complete the Student Organization Registration Form.
Draft a constitution. Learn more about creating a constitution here.
- Consider if you will need to draft a risk management plan and waiver. Learn more about creating a risk management plan.
Schedule an appointment with the RSO Coordinator in Student Leadership and Involvement to review completed paperwork by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will receive notification of official registration via email.