In 2003, the President’s Council on Service and Civic Participation founded the President’s Volunteer Service Award to recognize the important role of volunteers in America’s strength and national identity. This award honors individuals whose service positively impacts communities in every corner of the nation and inspires those around them to take action, too.
Michigan Technological University is an official certifying organization for The President’s Volunteer Service Award. Eligible students who record a qualifying number of verified community service hours on GivePulse in the 12 month period between Monday of Week 10 of consecutive Spring semesters will automatically be certified for recognition.
PVSA recipients will be recognized at the annual Student Leadership Awards which is held the Friday of Week 13 each Spring Semester. The President’s Volunteer Service Award can be received more than once if the requirements are met and a qualifying number of hours are recorded.
- United States citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States (i.e., green card holder)
- Must be at least five years old
- Completes eligible service within a 12-month period (for annual Bronze, Silver, and Gold Awards) and over a lifetime (for Lifetime Achievement Awards)
Unpaid acts of volunteer service benefitting others with an organization that is legally established in the United States, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico or one of the territories.
- Service through National service programs that provide a stipend (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) may count towards the Lifetime Achievement Award, but not for the annual Bronze, Silver, and Gold Awards)
- Travel stipends, transit/parking passes, membership passes, expense reimbursements, and other nominal volunteer support do not impact service eligibility
Eligible Service does not include:
- Donating funds
- Political lobbying (Non-partisan voter registration is an eligible activity)
- Religious instruction
- Conducting worship service
- Volunteer service performed as part of court-ordered community service
- Serving only family members
|Age Group||Bronze||Silver||Gold||Lifetime Achievement Award|
|Kids (5–10 years old)||26–49 hours||50–74 hours||75+ hours||4,000+ hours|
|Teens (11–15)||50–74 hours||75–99 hours||100+ hours||4,000+ hours|
|Young Adults (16–25)||100–174 hours||175–249 hours||250+ hours||4,000+ hours|
|Adults (26+)||100–249 hours||250–499 hours||500+ hours||4,000+ hours|
The volunteer will receive these items in their award package:
- personalized certificate, an 8.5 x 11-inch paper, recognizing their highest level of achievement (Gold, Silver, or Bronze)
- a letter signed by the President of The United States of America
- pin, coin, or medallion based upon your selection.
- Kaitlyn Brady
- Ryan Michael
- Kayley Elmblad
- Meg Pomranka
If you have questions about the President's Volunteer Service Award, please contact Husky Helpers at 906-487-1963 or email@example.com.