What is HuskyLead?
HuskyLEAD, a leadership development series for all Michigan Tech students. At Michigan Tech, we believe that leadership development is essential for all students to truly make an impact on campus and society. This program encourages all students from campus leaders and student organization officers, to individuals who just want to learn, to elevate their leadership skills by learning the best techniques, tips, and tricks for their personal, organizational, academic, and professional success.
What skills are built through participation in the HuskyLead Series?
The HuskyLEAD series focuses on five different leadership competencies:
- Self-Awareness: Part of strong leadership is learning about yourself – strengths, weaknesses, and personal values – and how to advance organizations and individuals using that self-knowledge.
- Teamwork: Cooperation and collaboration are important skills to learn as a leader. You will learn about how to use and navigate groups and teams to promote strong leadership.
- Communication: Leaders must understand the "how" and "why" behind communication in order to understand how others can best contribute, how to share information effectively with others, and how to send the desired message.
- Ethical Practices: The ethical practices of leaders are constantly challenged. Leaders must stay congruent with ethical principles and practices and the value of affecting others lives positively.
- Social Responsibility: As leaders, one of our goals is to understand our roles as members of multiple communities and how we can better the lives of those in those communities through direct and/or indirect involvement.
Fall 2020 HuskyLeads
Thursday, September 3 - "How to Market Your College Experience to Employers" - Students will learn about how to market their involvement, both on their resumes and in conversation. Being able to communicate the skills gained outside the classroom is key when companies are faced with many qualified candidates. View the recording of this HuskyLead here.
Thursday, September 10 - "Recruitment Basics" - MAP your way to success. Attend this HuskyLead being held in MUB Ballroom A2 at 6 p.m.
Tuesday, September 29 - "Keep It Going" - Overcome challenges in your organization and discover your "why" as a leader. Learn how to empower your members and become a confident leader. Join us for this HuskyLead at 6 p.m. in MUB Ballroom A2.
Tuesday, October 6 - "How to have Experiences Employers Look For" - What are companies looking for? Learn about what kind of involvement opportunities, extracurriculars, and leadership experience can benefit you during your job search. Attend this HuskyLead at 6 p.m. in MUB Ballroom A2.
Tuesday, October 20 - "Meeting Management" - Develop skills to be able to be effective when facilitating discussions, lead meetings, and navigate conflict. Join us at 6 p.m. to participate in this HuskyLead.
Thursday, October 29 - "Overcoming Organizational Challenges" - The opportunity to learn skills in building an effective and long lasting organization that serves the needs of all. Attend this HuskyLead at 6 p.m.
Thursday, November 12 - "Self Care and Well Being" - How do you encourage your friends and organization members to engage in self care and well being? Find ways to understand the signs of over-involvement and the importance of a well rounded experience. Join us at 6 p.m.
Thursday, December 3 - "Step Into Leadership" - An effective officer transition can set the tone for future organization success. Learn how to effectively run an officer election and facilitate proper knowledge transfer for incoming organizational leaders. Attend this HuskyLead at 6 p.m.