Complete proposals are due to the Sponsored Programs Office prior to the sponsor's deadline. A two-week notification of your intent to submit a proposal prior to the sponsor's deadline is strongly encouraged. Please review the Internal Deadline Chart by clicking on the link below, to determine a completed proposal's internal deadline.
- Identifying funding sources
- These lists and the Sponsored Programs Office can assist you in your search for funding.
- Determining the type of proposals
- Each type of proposal my have its own requirements or qualifications. The Sponsored Programs Office can help you sort through the various types.
- Notice of Intent to Submit form
This form is meant to gather a minimum amount of key information to coordinate support for the proposal.
- Writing proposals
- Aspects of proposal writing include using expected elements, abiding by University policies and procedures, proofreading, assembling, and developing a budget. Sponsored Programs Office staff can help.
- Developing a budget
- Download a budget worksheet to help you get started and learn what costs to include.
- Large Proposal Submission Guidelines
- Budget Justification Sample
- Biographical Sketch Sample
- Becoming familiar with policy and procedures
- Read Chapter 24 of the Operating Procedures Manual for additional requirements.
- Reviewing responsibilities as a researcher and University employee
- This list shows you all the roles involved in a sponsored project and their related responsibilities.
- Understanding proposal processing and routing
- Know when to submit a proposal, what forms to include with it, who should sign off, and what happens to it after it leaves your hands.
- Acquiring University and special approvals
- VP for Research approval is required for most proposals. There are a number of situations where special approvals are required.
- Receiving notification
- PI, Sponsored Programs Accounting, and the sponsor are notified by the Sponsored Programs Office.
- Setting up an award and a research account
- Sponsored Programs Accounting assigns an index number and account codes to the budget. The PI and academic department coordinator receive email notification.
- Making changes
- Internal awards (REF, FSG, C2E2) and (Federal, COS, NSF, limited submissions, research and fellowship proposals) have their own set of instructions and forms.