Emeritus/Emerita Rank & Appointment
Emeritus/Emerita faculty status is an honorary rank awarded to a retired faculty member who has served Michigan Technological University with distinction for at least 10 years of full-time employment.
Department Chair/School Dean
- Department/School makes a recommendation in compliance with procedures included in the department/school charter. Recommendation memo for Emeritus/Emerita Status.
- The recommendation must be approved by the College deans in the case of Engineering and Sciences and Arts.
- Recommendation must include the proposed title for emeritus rank as elected by the retiree. Senate Policy 703.1states that, “all emeriti/emeritae have the same rank, Professor Emeritus/Emerita, except that the retired faculty member may elect to retain the title at which they retired.”
- Review, approve and forward the recommendation to the President.
- Review, approve and forward the recommendation to the Board of Trustees for approval.
- Once emeriti/emeritae status is approved, president’s office coordinates annual emeritus faculty events.
Board of Trustees
- Following Board of Trustees approval, board secretary will send a letter to the faculty member congratulating them on their appointment. Copies of the letter will be sent to the following offices:
- Tech Express
- College Dean
- Academic Department Chair
- Transportation Services
- Academic Human Resources
- Michigan Tech Fund (Biographical Records)
- Public Safety
- Order and forward plaque with letter to emeritus faculty.
- Records and maintains official list of emeriti/emeritae faculty.
- Michigan Tech Fund – Biographical Records
- Maintains current biographical data and provide service for producing lists and labels.