Michigan Technological University offers a number of online courses and programs. To help ensure that we are providing the best education to online students as possible, Michigan Tech requires that those responsible for providing online instruction are appropriately trained and that courses meet, or exceed, a set of baseline standards rooted in research.
Instructors and facilitators of online courses must demonstrate that they have training in the development, delivery, and assessment of online courses, as well as proficiency with the learning management system in use at Michigan Tech (currently Canvas).
Peer reviews of courses will be conducted using a rubric designed to facilitate widely accepted best practices (currently Quality Matters).
Qualified Online Instructors
The following faculty have been recognized as meeting Michigan Tech's qualification standards for online instruction:
Instructors by Unit
- Instructors / Facilitators that meet training requirements by passing Michigan Tech's ED5101: Foundations of Online Teaching will automatically be added to the list of certified instructors.
- Those that meet the requirements through already approved, or similar (but not yet listed), courses or training programs must send evidence
of training completion in order to be added to the list. Evidence may be submitted
using an online form:
- The provost's office will send an annual memo to the cognizant dean and department
chair regarding courses that require review.
- The department chair or school dean should work with the instructor and refer to the list of Michigan Tech Certified Online Course Peer Reviewers to form a review team, preferably with reviewers from within their own unit.
- Upon notification from the review team that a course was determined to have met minimum standards, that course will be added to the list of courses that have met or surpassed review standards.
- Note: course reviews may also be initiated at any time at the request of the instructor. The instructor should work with their chair or school dean to arrange the review.