Our vision: one university focused on learning. The William G. Jackson Center for Teaching and Learning works to improve both teaching and learning at Michigan Tech. We focus on training and support, providing consultations for instructional techniques and educational technologies.
To support Michigan Tech’s commitment to a more inclusive teaching and learning environment, a new tool called Ally is now part of Canvas courses. Ally provides guidance on how to correct accessibility issues with digital course content. More accessible learning materials work better on mobile phones and tablets as well as with assistive technologies. Colored gauges called “Ally Indicators” will appear next to course files. These indicators are only visible to instructors in the course. When you click on an indicator Ally provides information about any accessibility issues with the file, why they matter, and how to fix them. Improving the accessibility of your course content will not only help ensure students with disabilities can access your materials, it will also improve the learning experience for students who use mobile devices as well as those who want to engage with the material in a different way. Students will be able to download alternative formats of course files. For example a PDF document can be downloaded as an HTML file for viewing on a mobile device, or as an MP3 audio file for playback while commuting or working out. An announcement will be posted to all instructors in Canvas when Ally is available. Learn more about Allyor contact the Jackson Center for Teaching and Learning with questions (487-3000, email: email@example.com).
Congratulations to the 2019 Distinguished Teaching Award Finalists
They were honored at the 22nd annual Academy of Teaching Excellence Award banquet on Tuesday, April 9, 2019
Assistant Professor/Lecturer/Professor of Practice Category
- Andrew Barnard, Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering- Engineering Mechanics.
- Lisa Johnson de Gordillo, Assistant Professor, Visual and Performing Arts.
- Heather Knewtson, Assistant Professor, Business and Economics.
- Sheila Milligan, Senior Lecturer, Business and Economics.
- Jeff Wall, Assistant Professor, Business and Economics.
Associate Professor/Professor Category
- Andrew Burton, Professor, Forest Resources & Environmental Sciences.
- Molly Cavaleri, Associate Professor, Forest Resources & Environmental Sciences.
- Ann Maclean, Professor, Forest Resources & Environmental Sciences.
- Christopher Webster, Professor, Forest Resources & Environmental Sciences.
- Thomas Werner, Associate Professor, Biological Sciences.
CTL Instructional Award Series
The CTL Instructional Awards for 2019 have been presented to Tim Schulz, Lisa Gordillo, Paul Charlesworth, and John Jaszczak. Visit the Faculty Recognition page to find out more and view past recipients.
Tip of the Week
Beyond the CTL