- Department Chair, Computer Science
- Professor, Computer Science
- PhD, Computer Science, Purdue University, 1978
- MS, Computer Science, Purdue University, 1974
- BS, Computer Science, Purdue University, 1972
Dr. Linda M. Ott received her PhD in Computer Science from Purdue University in 1978. She joined Michigan Technological University’s faculty shortly thereafter and chaired the Department of Computer Science from 1996 to 2010. Her early research interests were in software engineering, including software processes, software measurement, and software engineering education. She has been a co-Principal Investigator on nearly $1.5 million in grants from industry and the National Science Foundation. Ott is a 2010 recipient of the ACM SIGSOFT Retrospective Paper Award for the paper "The Program Dependence Graph in a Software Development Environment," co-authored with Dr. Karl Ottenstein and published in SDE 1, Proceedings of the First ACM SIGSOFT/SIGPLAN Symposium on Practical Software Development Environments, April 23-25, 1984. Ott taught Advanced Software Engineering at Siberian State Aerospace University in Krasnoyarsk, Russia as a Fulbright Scholar in 2012. She also taught Ethical and Social Aspects of Computing at Beijing Normal University - Zhuhai in Zhuhai, China during the summer of 2011. Ott received the Michigan Technological University Inaugural Diversity Award in 2014. She was a founding organizer of the Michigan Celebration of Women in Computing and of the NCWIT Aspirations in Computing Michigan Affiliate Award for high school women. She is the project lead for Michigan Tech’s NCWIT Pacesetters team and for Michigan Tech’s NCWIT Extension Services for Undergraduate Programs team. As of March 2015, she is the Associate Dean for Special Initiatives in the College of Sciences and Arts.
Links of Interest
Area of Expertise
- Software Measurement
- Software Processes
- Software Engineering Education
- Women in Computing
- Retention in Undergraduate CS Education
- G. Archer, L. Bohmann, A. Carter, C. Cischke, L. Ott, L. Ureel. Understanding Similarities and Differences in Students Across First-Year Computing Majors, Proc.2016 Frontiers in Education Conference, October 2016.
- L. Ott, "Alumni as a Resource to Increase Student Retention in Early Computer Science Courses", 2015 Frontiers in Education Conference, Oct. 2015.
- L. Ott, "Explorations in Computing: Could this be the Key to Retention?, 2014 Frontiers in Education Conference, Oct. 2014.
- S. Kumar and L. Ott, "Encouraging Talented High School Girls toward a Career in Computing through a Broader Understanding of the Field", 121st ASEE Annual Conference, June 2014. Read More
- C. Brown, R. Pastel, M. Seigel, L. Ott and C. Wallace, "Adding Unit Test Experience to a Usability Centered Project Course", ACM Special Interest Group on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE), March 2014.
- L. M. Ott, "Object-Oriented Measurement of Software in J. Marciniak", editor, Encyclopedia of Software Engineering, Wiley, January 2002
- Linda Ott, Atte Kinula, Carolyn Seaman, Claes Wohlin. "The Role of Empirical Studies in Process Improvement", Empirical Software Engineering 4(4): 381-386, December 1999.
- L. M. Ott and J. M. Bieman. "Program Slices as an Abstraction for Cohesion Measurement", Information and Software Technology, 40, 1998, pp. 691-699.
- Dianne M. Marsh and Linda M. Ott. "Distributed Processing: Requirements for an Object-Oriented Approach", Proc. 30th Annual Hawaii International Conference on Systems Sciences, January 1997.
- Peck Cho, Diana George, Linda Ott, William Predebon and Philip Sweany. New Faculty Orientation and Seminar Series: Emphasis on Teaching and Learning, Proc. 1996 ASEE Annual Conference, June 1996.
- Sue Beske-Diehl, Linda Ott, and Christine Anderson. Potential for Change: Going Beyond Recommendations in a Women’s Climate Study, Proc. 1995 Women in Engineering Program Advocate’s Network National Conference, June 4-6, Washington, D.C., pp. 189-194.
- L. M. Ott. "The Early Days of Software Metrics: Looking Back After 20 Years", in A. Melton, editor, Software Measurement: Understanding Software Engineering, International Thomson Computer Press, 1995.