- Meese Center 203
- Professor of Psychology, Cognitive and Learning Sciences
- PhD, Cognitive Psychology, University of Michigan, 2002
Shane T. Mueller, Ph. D. is a Professor in the Applied Cognitive Science and Human Factors program in the Cognitive and Learning Science Department. Dr. Mueller has undergraduate degrees in mathematics and psychology from Drew University, and received his Ph. D. in cognitive psychology from the University of Michigan in 2002. He was a Senior Scientist at Klein Associates Division of Applied Research Associates from 2006 to 2011. His research has been supported by NIH, DARPA, IARPA, the Air Force Research Laboratory, the Army Research Institute, the Defense Threat Reduction Agency, and others.
Dr. Mueller's research focuses on human memory and the representational, perceptual, strategic, and decisional factors that support it. He employs applied and basic research methodologies, typically with a goal of implementing formal quantitative mathematical or computational models of cognition and behavior. He is also the primary developer of the Psychology Experiment Building Language (PEBL), a software platform for creating psychology experiments.
Links of Interest
- Computational Modeling
- Recognitional Decision Making
- Perceptual and Memory Processes
- Representations of Cultural Knowledge
- Hoffman, R., Miller, T., Mueller, S. T., Klein, G. and Clancey, W. J. (2018). Explaining Explanation, Part 4: A Deep
Dive on Deep Nets. IEEE Intelligent Systems, 33(3), 87–95.
- Mueller, S. T., & Piper, B. J. (2014). The Psychology Experiment Building Language (PEBL) and PEBL test battery.
Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 222, 250—259.
- Thanasuan, K. & Mueller, S. T. (2014). Crossword expertise as recognitional decision making: an artificial intelligence
approach. Frontiers in Psychology. doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2014.01018
- Mueller, S. T., Perelman, B. S., & Simpkins, B. G. (2013). Pathfinding in the cognitive map: Network models of
mechanisms for search and planning. Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures, 5, 94-111.
- Mueller, S. T. & Klein, G. K. (2011). Improving Users' Mental Models of Intelligent Software Tools with an "Experiential User Guide". IEEE Intelligent Systems.
- Piper, B. Victoria, L., Massar, E., Kobel, Y., Benice, T., Chu, A., Olsen, R., Rice, D., Gray, H., & Mueller, S. T. (2011). Executive Function on the Psychology Experiment Building Language Tests. Behavior Research Methods, 43,1-14. http://dx.doi.org/10.3758/s13428-011-0096-6.
- Hoffman, R. R., Mueller, S. T., & Klein, G. (2017). Explaining Explanation, Part 2: Empirical Foundations. IEEE
Intelligent Systems, 32(4), 78-86.
- Course Textbook for PSY 5210: Applied Statistical Analysis in R A graduate course for Psychology, Human Factors, and Data Science
- PSY 5210: Advanced Research and Statistics I
- Course Textbook for 5210: Applied Statistical Analysis in R A graduate course for Psychology, Human Factors, and Data Science
- PSY 5220: Advanced Research and Statistics II