We discover, develop, and disseminate knowledge in the biological sciences.
The Department of Biological Sciences will be a recognized regional, national, and international leader in research, and in undergraduate and graduate education in life sciences.
- The role of biological science is the discovery and integration of basic knowledge from multiple fields of study as they apply to living systems.
- Advances in basic and applied knowledge provide a nexus from which theory, technology, and policy arise.
- The Department of Biological Sciences is the hub of life science initiatives at Michigan Tech and beyond—advancing knowledge and developing solutions.
- Our reputation and central Lake Superior location positions us to be a leader in Great Lakes research.
- All students need a diverse educational experience through which they can develop an appreciation of the connectedness of life and the environment across all scales of organization—from molecules to ecosystems.
- The department is a leader in teaching biological literacy within the University, the surrounding citizenry, and the K–12 community.
- We value the direct and the intangible benefits that emerge from a diverse complement of research and teaching faculty.