Make a Difference Day is the most encompassing national day of helping others—a celebration of neighbors helping neighbors. This annual tradition at Michigan Tech started as a student's LeaderShape vision, but has continued to be our largest day of service each year. The entire Michigan Tech community is invited to participate! Our next Make a Difference Day will be held on Saturday, October 26, 2024.
If you have questions about Make a Difference Day, please contact Husky Helpers at 906-487-1963 or email@example.com.
Service Site Registration
Registration for service sites will open in September. Local non-profits, community groups, and area residents are all invited to request assistance. Students typically arrive around 9:30 AM to begin service with an anticipated end time of 1 PM. Service sites should ideally be within 25 miles of campus. Past projects have included yard work, raking, painting, trail maintenance, small build projects, organization, and sewing.
Students, staff, and faculty are invited to register as volunteers for Make a Difference Day. Volunteers will receive a free t-shirt for participating. Volunteer registration will open in mid-September and close on October 20th, 2024. Want to know exactly what to expect? Read through the steps below!
- Register for Make a Difference Day on GivePulse by October 20th. Indicate your group name if registering as part of a student organization or house community.
- Check in at the Commons on the ground floor of the Memorial Union Building between 8:30 and 9:00 AM on Saturday, October 26 and receive your free t-shirt.
- Gather with the other volunteers assigned to your service location to review your site information packet and discuss transportation.
- If needed, head to the SLI Garage at 212 East Street to pick up additional supplies. Additional supplies may include rakes, tarps, shovels, etc.
- Travel to your service site with group members and meet your day-of contact for your location.
- Perform service tasks as requested by your day-of contact. Take breaks for water and rest as needed. Have fun!
- You are done when your task is complete, and no later than 1 PM. Return to campus with your group and drop off any supplies to the garage.
- Celebrate! We could not make a difference without volunteers like you. Complete the Impact form on GivePulse to let us know what we can do better next year.
- 501 students participated
- 60 different service sites
- 60 unique student groups
- 448 students participated
- 60 different service sites
- 79 unique student groups
- 488 students participated
- 55 different service sites
- 72 unique student groups
- 432 students participated
- 72 different service sites
- 561 students registered
- 51 different service sites
- 460 students participated
- 53 different service sites
- 69 Student Organizations/Residence Halls participated
- 569 students participated
- 47 different service sites
- 76 Student Organizations/Residence Halls participated
- 667 students participated
- 40 different service sites
- 77 Student Organizations/Residence Halls participated
- 497 students participated
- 57 different service sites
- 56 Student Organizations/Residence Halls participated
- 507 students participated
- 43 different service sites
- 61 Student Organizations/Residence Halls participated