New Faculty Resources

How to Get Help in an Emergency

Fire, Police, or Medical Emergencies

For fire, police, or medical help, dial 9-1-1 on any campus phone or cell phone.

Be prepared to give:

  • Your location on Michigan Tech's Campus in Houghton (i.e., building name and room number)
  • The nature of your emergency (i.e., fire, medical, chemical spill, police emergency, etc.)

Facility Emergencies

For University facility emergencies, dial 7-0001 (campus phone) or 906-487-0001 (cell phone).

Be prepared to give:

  • The nature of your emergency (i.e., power outage, plumbing leak, room/building temperature failure, elevator stuck, etc.)


To request non-emergency laboratory facility repairs or modifications, use the Facilities Management Maintenance Direct portal.

To contact Public Safety and Police Services for non-emergencies (i.e., after-hours building access, locked out of an office room), call 7-2216 (campus phone) or 906-487-2216 (cell phone).

If you have questions about safety in your laboratory, contact:

Laboratory Safety Equipment Requirements

Eyewashes and Safety Shower

Fire Extinguishers

  • If a fire extinguisher has been accidentally discharged, tampered with, or needs service, use the Facilities Management Maintenance Direct portal.
  • To evaluate if additional extinguishers are needed in the laboratory, contact Environmental Health and Safety (EHS).

First Aid Kits

  • All employees must have access to a first aid kit. If the first aid kit is not located in the laboratory, its located should be posted.
  • For all medical needs beyond simple first aid, call 9-1-1. Campus First Responders will be notified.

Fume Hood Testing

  • All fume hoods are tested annually.
  • For questions about testing, use, or other fume hood activities, contact Research Integrity.

Spill Kits

  • All laboratories using hazardous materials require a spill cleanup kit with materials as specified in the laboratory Spill Response Plan.
  • For questions about spill response, contact Research Integrity.

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

  • All researchers must be supplied, free of charge, with all laboratory PPE identified by your hazard assessment.
  • It is preferred that all non-disposable PPE be assigned to each individual; all shared PPE that comes in contact with skin must be sanitized between users.

Training and Setup Requirements and Operations for All Laboratories

Use the Hazard Identification Checklist and the associated Technical Guide: to identify hazards in your laboratory. Completing the checklist will identify:

Laboratories Conducting Research with Biological Materials

Requirements for Working with Biological Materials

Any work with organisms or materials requiring Biosafety Level 2 (BSL-2) containment must be reviewed by the University’s Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC).

The IBC review requires submission of the following: 

All laboratories working at either Biosafety Level 1 (BSL-1) or BSL-2 must establish laboratory-specific policies for safety, data management, and housekeeping. See these examples: safety, data management/ housekeeping.

For additional information, contact biosafety officer David Dixon at or 906-487-2131.

Laboratories Conducting Research Using Chemicals or Other Hazardous Materials

Prior to using chemicals or other hazardous materials, the laboratory Principal Investigator must:

Purchasing Laboratory Chemicals

Disposing of Chemical Wastes

Laboratories Conducting Research Using or Servicing Electrical Equipment

Only authorized and trained personnel (also known as a "Qualified Person") may work on both energized AND de-energized high-voltage (i.e., more than 50 volts) circuits or equipment. All work must follow the University’s Electrical Safety Work Practices and Hazardous Energy Control Program.

All electrical circuits must match the equipment/instrument manufacturer’s electrical requirements. If there are questions about these requirements, or if the circuitry needs modifications, contact Facilities Management through the Maintenance Direct portal for assistance.

Other common laboratory electrical rules:

  • Ground-Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) outlets are required if an electrical outlet is within six feet of a water source, in wet environments, and when using outdoor circuits.
  • Extension Cords are only allowed for temporary (eight hours or less) portable equipment. Extension cords cannot be used as a substitution for permanent circuits.
  • Nothing may obstruct electrical panels (circuit breaker panels). A minimum of three feet of clearance in front of the panel is required for access.
  • Equipment covers and instrument panels must remain in place when equipment is energized.
  • Lockout procedure must be used before panels are removed or internal parts are exposed.
  • Power cords on equipment and tools must be in good condition (no exposed wires or frayed cords). Electrically powered tools and equipment must be grounded or double insulated.
  • Power strips may only be used with computers or other low amperage equipment. Power strips may not be "daisy chained"; or plugged into an extension cord.