Laboratory Operations assists laboratories in managing chemicals from cradle to grave—i.e., from purchasing to disposal.
- Laboratory chemicals, controlled substances, compressed gases, cryogenic liquids, and other hazardous materials are prohibited items on University purchasing cards.
- All laboratory chemical purchases must be conducted through University Chemical Stores.
- All other hazardous materials must be ordered through Purchasing.
Safe Chemical Handling
- Laboratories that meet the following requirements must have a Chemical Hygiene Plan (CHP) and their associated written Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Chemical manipulations are carried out on a laboratory scale;
- Multiple chemical procedures or chemicals are used;
- The procedures involved are not part of a production process, nor in any way simulate a production process; and
- Protective laboratory practices and equipment are available and in common use to minimize the potential for employee exposure to hazardous chemicals.
- All other laboratories using hazardous materials must follow the University’s Hazard Communication Plan.