Welcome to Laboratory Operations, which reports to the associate vice president for research development (AVPRD). We are your resource for safely working in the research laboratory or when conducting research in the field. Our areas of expertise include:
- Conducting regular and on-demand inspections of research laboratories and shared facilities.
- The frequency of inspections depends on the activities of the laboratory.
- Conducting on-demand inspections of instructional laboratories, enterprise spaces, student workspaces, and maker spaces.
Biological Research Activities
- Interpreting and updating the University's Biological Safety Manual.
- Coordinating the annual certification of biological safety cabinets (BSC).
- Confirming chemicals used for research purchased using University Chemical Stores (UCS).
- Interpreting and updating the University's Chemical Hygiene Plan.
- Managing the University's chemical Safety Data Sheets using MSDSonline.
- Conducting annual and on-demand testing of chemical fume hoods.
- Managing the University laboratories' hazardous wastes, liquid industrial byproducts, and other laboratory wastes programs.
- Assisting faculty in acquiring, managing, and disposing of US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) controlled substances.
Electrical, Mechanical, and Non-ionizing and Ionizing Radiation Research Activities
- Managing the use and registration of radioactive isotopes and radiation-producing equipment.
- Managing the University’s use of non-ionizing radiation (lasers).