Leonard J. Bohmann
- M&M 707
- Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
- Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
- PhD, Electrical Engineering, University of Wisconsin
- MS, Electrical Engineering, University of Wisconsin
- BS, Electrical Engineering, University of Dayton
Leonard J. Bohmann received his BS in Electrical Engineering from the University of Dayton in 1983, and his MS and PhD in Electrical Engineering from the University of Wisconsin in 1986 and 1989 respectively. After graduating, he accepted a faculty position at Michigan Tech in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. Bohmann was appointed interim chair of the Department for the 2007-08 academic year. In 2007 he was also appointed to his present position, associate dean for academic affairs within the College of Engineering.
Bohmann teaches courses in power systems and energy conversion. His research interests focus on the integration of renewable energy sources into the electric grid and the challenges they pose in power-system operations and planning environments.
In recognition of his fine teaching and assistance to students, Bohmann was awarded the Department’s Professor of the Year Award in 2004 and the IEEE Student Branch Service Award in 2006.
He is active in the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, with memberships in five of its societies: Education; Power Engineering; Systems, Industry Applications, Man, and Cybernetics; and Social Implications of Technology. Bohmann serves on the Board of Governors of the IEEE Education Society and is presently Chair of the Finance Committee. He is active in the Power Engineering Society’s Power Engineering Education Committee and is a past chair of the society’s University Education Subcommittee. Bohmann is a senior member of the IEEE, and in 2001 he received the Outstanding Engineer Award from the Milwaukee/Northern Wisconsin PES Chapter. He also has been appointed by the IEEE to serve as an ABET evaluator for electrical engineering programs.
Bohmann is also an active member of the American Society for Engineering Education, having joined the society shortly after becoming a faculty member. He is a member of the Electrical and Computer Engineering (having formerly served as its President), Energy Conversion and Conservation, Computers in Education, and Educational Research and Methods Divisions.
Bohmann was chair of the Department's Undergraduate Program Committee from 1998 to 2000, in charge of developing the curriculum as the University changed from quarters to semesters. More recently, he helped to lead the development of two electric power engineering certificate programs, which were developed in collaboration with electric utilities to provide retraining opportunities for their engineers.
Additionally, Bohmann served on the Great Lakes Wind Council, an advisory body within the Michigan Department of Energy, Labor and Economic Growth. The council was appointed by the governor to examine issues and make policy recommendations related to offshore wind energy development within Michigan.
Links of Interest
Areas of Interest
- Electric power systems analysis
- Utility applications of power electronics (HVDC, SVC, FACTS)
- Power system dynamics
- Power system transients
- Renewable energy generation and integration in power systems
- Student retention and success
- Dana Johnson, Leonared Bohmann, Kris Mattila, Amlan Mukherjee, Nilufer Onder, John Sutherland, “Integrating a Multi‐Disciplinary Program Using Concept Mapping”, 20th annual Conference of the Production and Operations Management Society (POM 2009), May 1 – 4, 2009, Orlando, FL, paper 011‐0252, http://coba.georgiasouthern.edu/hanna/FullPapers/011‐0252.pdf
- Dana Johnson, Leonared Bohmann, Kris Mattila, Amlan Mukherjee, Nilufer Onder, John Sutherland, “Developing a Curriculum in Service Systems Engineering,” Accepted to the IIE Annual Conference and Expo 2009, Miami, FL, May 30 – June 3, 2009.
- Johnson, D.M., Graman, G.A., Bohmann, L.J., Mattila, K., Onder, N., and Sutherland, J.W., (May 2008). "Service Systems Engineering: New Course Development – Service Systems Operations," refereed paper published in proceedings 2008 POMS Conference, La Jolla, CA.
- James McCalley, Leonard Bohmann, Karen Mu, Noel Schulz, “Electric Power Engineering Education Resources 2005‐06, IEEE Power Engineering Society Committee Report, The Power Engineering Education Committee (PEEC) Task Force on Educational Resources” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 23, No.1, pp. 1‐24, February, 2008.
- Bohmann, L., Johnson, D. M., Mattila, K., Onder, N., Sutherland, J., “Update on Service Systems Engineering Curriculum - One Year Later”, Decision Sciences Institute 2007 Annual Meeting Phoenix, AZ.
- Electric Power Engineering Education Resources 2001-02, IEEE Power Engineering Society Committee Report, James McCalley, Leonard Bohmann, Karen Mu, Noel Schulz, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 18, No.4, pp. 1703-1722, November, 2004.
- LJ Bohmann, BA Mork, DO Wiitanen, "Power Engineering Design Projects: Capstone Team Projects versus Topical Design" IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, special section on Power Engineering Education, Volume: 19 , Issue: 1 , Feb. 2004 Pages:152 - 156.
- Implementing a Curriculum for Service Systems Engineering, S. Sorby PI, L.J. Bohmann, J. Southerland, K. Matilla, D. Johnson Co-PIs, National Science Foundation, 10/06-10/09.
- Reducing Blackout Likelihood via Advances in Tripping, Reclosing, Load Shedding, and System Separation Strategies, B.A. Mork, PI, L.J. Bohmann, D. Ishenko Co-PIs, National Science Foundation, 9/05-8/08
- Defining a Curriculum for Service Sector Engineering, S. Sorby PI, L.J. Bohmann, J. Southerland, T. Drummer, K. Matilla, J.O. Frendewey Co-PIs, National Science Foundation, 9/03-12/04.
- Black Start Grid Restoration Project, B. Mork PI, L Bohmann Co-PI, MAPPCorp 1/1/01-6/30/01
- Schweitzer Power Engineering Effective Teaching; L.J. Bohmann PI, Schweitzer Engineering Labs; Organize a workshop for university professors; In Seattle, WA, 7/00.
- Simulation of High Voltage Transmission Line Transients and Testing of System Protection; Consumers Energy; B.A. Mork PI, L.J. Bohmann CO-PI. 6/97-9/97.
- An Initiative to Help Michigan in the Transition to a Deregulated Utility Sector; L.J. Bohmann, B.A. Mork and D.O. Wiitanen CO-PIs, Michigan Research Excellence Fund.