Welcome to Michigan Tech!
Greetings new graduate students. This special edition of the Weekly Download shares what you need to know for a successful semester. There's a lot to learn and this newsletter is meant to help ease your transition to graduate school and Michigan Tech. The Weekly Download, sent to all students, is published each Tuesday while classes are in session.
Graduate Program Directors
Graduate Program Directors serve as the primary administrator and point of contact for individual graduate programs, and as the initial advisor for students accepted into their programs. The Graduate Program Assistant provides administrative support to the Program Director. Graduate programs and their directors are listed below.
Find a Research Opportunity
College of Computing and Michigan Tech faculty and students are engaged in a wide range of research projects. Computing touches virtually everything, so your research options are limitless. The links below will help you identify the research opportunities of interest to you.
- Check Handshake
- Check the Student Employment Webpages
- Check the Computing Student Blog
- Graduate Assistantships
- Graduate Assistantships (GRA/GTA) recipients perform research, teaching, or administrative services for the University as part of a student’s academic and professional training and development. All applicants to the Graduate School are automatically considered for graduate assistantship opportunities.
- Review Active Research Projects
- Review Faculty Research Interests
- Link to more tips here.
It's never too early to start networking with employers! Michigan Tech's Fall 2022 Career Fair will be fully in-person at the Student Development Complex on Wed., Sep. 21, from 2-7 pm.
Hundreds of employers from across the United States have already signed up to get to know our talented Huskies. Michigan Tech students have an average placement rate of 93% and are in the top 20 for the highest early career salary in the nation--we're Michigan's flagship technological university, and our alums enter more career-ready than just about anywhere else. Register now on Handshake, or send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parade of Nations
Since 1989, the Houghton and Hancock communities have been celebrating the rich cultural diversity of the Keweenaw with the Parade of Nations, which is Sept. 17 beginning at 11 am in Hancock. The celebration of unity and culture is open to the entire community. Following the parade, the Multicultural Festival begins at noon at Dee Stadium. For $5 to $8 you can enjoy a full meal or choose from international tidbits. This year’s theme is "The World is One." Everyone is welcome to walk in the Parade of Nations with any of the represented countries. Request a flag of any country here. Volunteer positions are available. Groups may apply to enter a float contest. Visit the Parade of Nations website here.
Events and Lectures
- Dean Dennis Livesay's open office hours are every Friday from 2-3 pm while classes are in session. Students who wish to chat are invited to "drop in" his office in Rekhi 223. Appointments are not needed Email Dr. Livesay at email@example.com.
- Graduate Student Orientation: Computer Science, Data Science, and Cybersecurity, Aug. 23, 1:30-2:30 pm, Rekhi 214
- On-Campus Jobs Expo, August 31,12-3 pm, Memorial Union
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program Workshop 1: Overview and Tips, Sep. 7, 2:30-4 pm.
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program Workshop 2: Crafting your statements, Tue., Sep 13, 1-2:30 pm
- CC/ECE Career Fair Mixer, Sep. 20, 4-5:30 pm, Rozsa Center
- Faculty Lecture: Lan (Emily) Zhang and Jun Dai, Sep. 30, 3-4 pm, Rekhi 214 or via Zoom
- Computing[MTU] Showcase Poster Session, Oct. 10; submit posters by Sep. 30, 12 am
- Applications accepted for NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program, Oct. 17-21
- ICC Distinguished Lecture: Zahra Motamed, McMaster University, Oct. 7, 3 pm, Zoom only
- Info Session: BS in Mechatronics and Electrical Engineering Technology, Oct. 19, 6:30 pm, EERC 103
The College of Computing has a number of resources for news and information. You may want to bookmark these sites, blogs, and social media pages. Please like,
follow, and share often!
- College of Computing: mtu.edu/computing
- Department of Computer Science: mtu.edu/cs
- Department of Applied Computing: mtu.edu/applied-computing
- Institute of Computing and Cybersystems: mtu.edu/icc
- Data Science MS: mtu.edu/data-science
- Health Informatics MS: mtu.edu/health-informatics
- Mechatronics MS: mtu.edu/mechatronics
- College of Computing: blogs.mtu.edu/computing
- News, events and lectures, announcements, faculty and student news and profiles, research
- Student Blog: blogs.mtu.edu/computing-advisor
- Job opportunities, student events and opportunities, new courses, scholarship and fellowship announcements
- Institute of Computing and Cybersystems Blog: blogs.mtu.edu/icc
- Research news, ICC member news, events and lectures. ICC member profiles
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MichiganTechComputing/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/mtu_computing
- LinkedIn: https://linkedin.com/company/michigan-tech-computing
- Instagram: instagram.com/mtu_computing/
- View the full Academic Calendar
- Monday, Aug 29: Instruction Begins
- Monday, Sep 05: Labor Day Recess
- Friday, Sep 09, 12 pm: K-day Recess
- Monday, Sep 12: Classes Resume
- Wednesday, Sep 21, 12 am: Career Fair
- Wednesday, Sep 21, 2 pm: Career Fair Recess
- Wednesday, Sep 21, 4 pm: Classes Resume
- Friday, Oct 07, 3 pm: Homecoming Recess
- Sunday, Oct 23, 12 pm: Spring/Summer Registration Begins
- Sunday, Nov 13, 11:59 pm: Spring/Summer Registration Ends
- Friday, Nov 18,10 pm: Thanksgiving Recess Begins
- Monday, Nov 28: Classes Resume
- Friday, Dec 09: Last Day of Regular Classes
- Monday, Dec 12: Final Exam Period
- Friday, Dec 16: Fall Semester Ends
- Saturday, Dec 17: Midyear Commencement
Do you have news to share? To include information in The Weekly Download, email to firstname.lastname@example.org by12:00 noon on the Monday prior to the week you'd like it to run. Questions about the newsletter? Please contact email@example.com.
To subscribe to the Weekly Download, please send your name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.