- Brain Break: Weds., Apr. 21, and Thur., Apr. 22, 3:45 - 4:15 pm; 2nd floor lounge, Rekhi Hall. Come on in, relax, see humans. Ask questions about summer or fall classes, celebrate the end of another strange semester, and anticipate a return to normalcy!
Last Day to Drop a Course with a W: Thur., Apr. 22; contact your advisor if you want to drop a course.
- Dean Livesay's Open Office Hours: Fri., Apr. 23, 3-4 pm; Dr. Livesay's drop-in office hours are canceled Friday, May 1, and Friday, May 8, as the Dean will be traveling.
- Graduation Celebration: Fri. Apr. 30
Graduate Student Lectures
- Master's Defense: Dante Paglia, CS, Apr. 26, 1 pm, A Software Tool for Using an Augmented Reality Sandbox to Calculate Volume Change"
Faculty Lectures (Open to all)
- CS Lecture: Dr. Qun Li, William & Mary, Fri., Apr. 23, 3 pm, "Byzantine Fault Tolerant Distributed Machine Learning"
CAREER AND EMPLOYMENT
Fall Internships and Co-Ops at Tesla
The Hardware Engineering team at Tesla is hiring! Their engineers are hosting four info sessions about what their teams do and the upcoming projects in which interns will be involved.
- Autopilot Firmware, Monday, April 19
- Silicon Development, Tuesday, April 20
- Radio Frequency, Wednesday, April 21
- Electrical and Computer Engineering, Thursday, April 22
Careers at AKADEUS: Link here for more info.
Teaching Assistants and Camp Helpers
Dr. Yu Cai is seeking motivated students to help with the GenCyber Teacher Camp, July 19-23, 2021. Twenty K-12 teachers will attend the camp. Students will set up the lab, assist with hands-on activities and games, manage the website, and help in the assessment of the camp. Students will be paid for three weeks of work. Contact Dr. Yu Cai (firstname.lastname@example.org) for details.
Graduate Research Assistant
Dr. Xiaoyong (Brian) Yuan and Dr. Bo Chen are seeking an hourly paid graduate research assistant to work in the areas of artificial intelligence and mobile security. The project is expected to begin May 10, 2021. To apply, please send a resume and a transcript to Dr. Yuan (email@example.com).
- Passion for research in artificial intelligence and mobile security
- Familiar with Android OS and Android app development
- Basic knowledge of machine learning and deep learning
- Solid programming skills in Java, Python, or related programming languages
- Experience with popular deep learning frameworks, such as Pytorch and Tensorflow is a plus
Computing Learning Center Coaches and Lab Assistants
Seeking highly motivated students with good communication skills to work as CCLC coaches and lab assistants next year. Qualified applicants must have earned at least an AB in the following courses: CS 1121 and 1122 (or 1131), 2321, 1142, and 2311.Send a resume and unofficial MTU transcripts to Dr. Leo Ureel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteers Needed for Augmented Reality Study
Volunteers are needed to take part in a study exploring how people may interact with future Augmented Reality (AR) interfaces. Participants will record videos of themselves tapping on a printed keyboard. The study, which is completed at home, takes approximately one hour, and you will be paid $15 for your time. Contact email@example.com to sign up.
Participants must meet the following requirements:
- Access to an Android mobile phone
- Access to a printer
- A fluent speaker of English
- 18 years of age or older
- You live in the United States
The Watermark Scholars application period for the fall 2021 academic term is open. The deadline to submit applications is July 15, 2021. Two students will be selected and awardees will be notified in August. The scholarship is $5,000.
To participate, submit either a written essay of up to 500 words, or a short video, on the topic, “Who has inspired you to pursue a career in science or technology, and what do you want to achieve upon graduation?”
COLLEGE OF COMPUTING LEARNING CENTER
"Stuck on syntax or unsure about algorithms? The team of CCLC coaches is here to help! All of us coaches enjoy sharing our knowledge, and we hope you’ll become as excited about programming and computing as we are. From CS 1121 to AI, we have coaches here to answer your questions. So, please stop by and ask!"
-- Sarah Larkin, Computer Science
- Link to CCLC webpage
- Open for online appointments Mon. to Fri., 2-5 pm, schedule here
- Walk-in hours, 7 days, 7-10 pm, via Zoom
- Upper-level CS courses help: grad student
James Michniewicz is available Sun., Tues., and Thurs. 7-9 pm
- Get to know the CCLC coaches
- Discord server
- Canvas page: self-registration
- Canvas page link
MICHIGAN TECH REDTEAM
Congratulations to the RedTeam! The team achieved a breakthrough in the Spring 2021 National Cyber League (NCL) competition. The primary team finished the capture-the-flag (CTF) team competition 3rd Place in the overall ranking (tied for 1st Place in score), and four RedTeam players ranked in the Top 100. More than 900 teams and 4,180 individual players participated in the CTF.
HUSKY GAME DEVELOPMENT
Congratulations Husky Game Development Enterprise (Team 115), which has taken 1st Place in the Enterprise Awards category of Design Expo 2021. Read more about Husky Games, view their Design Expo video submission, and explore all 2021 entries here: mtu.edu/expo.
DANIEL BYRNE AWARDED FELLOWSHIP
Congratulations, Daniel Byrne! A Summer 2021 Finishing Fellowship had been awarded to PhD student Daniel Byrne, Computer Science. Byrne will receive full support for the semester, which includes three research credit hours and a stipend.
View the full Academic Calendar
- Fri., Apr. 23: Last Day of Regular Classes
- Mon., Apr 26: Final Exam Period
- Fri., Apr. 30: Spring Commencement
- Monday, May 10, 2021: Session A Begins
- Monday, May 10, 2021: Full Session Begins
- Monday, May 31, 2021: Memorial Day Recess
- Tuesday, Jun 1, 2021: Classes Resume
- Thursday, Jun 24, 2021: Session A Ends
- Friday, Jun 25, 2021: Session A Exams
- Monday, Jun 28, 2021 Session B Begins
- Monday, Jul 5, 2021: Independence Day Recess
- Tuesday, Jul 6: Classes Resume
- Thursday, Aug 12: Session B Ends
- Thursday, Aug 12: Full Session Ends
- Friday, Aug 13: Final Exam Period
To include news and information in The Weekly Download, email your news to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12:00 noon on the Monday prior to the week you'd like it to run. Late submissions may not be included. Questions about the newsletter? Please contact email@example.com.
To subscribe to the Weekly Download, please send your name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our mailing address is:
Michigan Technological University
1400 Townsend Dr., Rekhi Hall
Houghton, MI 49931-1200
Add us to your address book
Unsubscribe from this list