Make Sound That Creates an Experience
The wind howls. The tree branches creak. The life of the forest breathes into you. You're immersed in sound.
The sound is immersive, epic—the environment feels so real you could touch it, even though you know it’s an illusion.
Sound designers make it happen. Sound is critical to the success of storytelling in films, TV, theatre, video games, and theme parks. It makes or breaks recorded music. Sound is the first sense we develop in the womb and remains one of our most primal and powerful means of communication.
With a Bachelor of Arts in Sound Design, you'll be prepared to enter the world of sound as a content creator in any context. Many of our students walk right into high-level jobs after graduation. The first job for sound designer Steve Green was lead designer on the successful video game Abzû.
One-of-a-Kind Program Features
There are many benefits to studying sound design at Michigan Tech. Our program is comprehensive: tools, techniques, theory, and training in music and composition; the full spectrum of audio production, from recording to mixing and mastering; narrative analysis and story structure; and the technical arts that form the backbone of the field. Plus, our production facilities include surround-sound mixing rooms for cinema, theater, and gaming. Our facilities are available to students 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can spend as much time as you want to hone your craft.
Our class sizes are small for a reason—we give you one-on-one contact with faculty who work professionally all over the world. Other benefits include:
- Hands-on begins Day One. Record original content. Compose original music. Work in theater. Mix concerts. Create a film score with a live orchestra. Join our many projects on our culturally vibrant, career-focused campus.
- Record, create, and design original sound effects for theater, film, and other projects.
- Make original music studio recordings as an engineer and producer.
- Compose and conduct. Work with professional musicians. Score your own music with a live orchestra for film, television, and theatre.
8:1student to faculty ratio
9minors to help you customize your degree
5sound labs to perfect your craft
7%sound design market growth rate
Sound Connections For Sound Design
- Sound program grads from Michigan Tech work throughout the industry, just like the faculty who help prepare you for your career. Our faculty's network connects you with real-world professionals from your very first semester.
- We're not located in a big city, but we keep you connected to the industry. Students attend major professional events several times a year—from the Audio Engineering Society national conference to the United States Institute of Technical Theatre convention. Make professional contacts. Present your work to industry leaders. Be ready to navigate the entertainment industry the moment you graduate.
Tomorrow Needs Listeners
As the need for high-quality audio in film, video games, virtual reality, augmented reality, podcasts, and entertainment venues expands, so does the need for talented sound designers to enhance these experiences. Sound design in advertising and marketing creates memorable campaigns. A degree in sound design opens doors.
One-on-one advising keeps you moving forward. You'll consider summer internships, jobs, résumé and portfolio preparation—everything you need to line up the kind of work you want and build the career you desire.
Career Opportunities for Sound Design Majors
Your future career options are unlimited with a degree in sound design. They include:
- Foley Artist
- Live Sound Engineer
- Recording Engineer
- Sound Designer
- Sound Editor
- Sound Effects Recorder
- Sound Mixer
- Tour Manager
Michigan Tech Sound Design Majors Have Been Hired By
Almost any company creating film, video games, virtual reality, augmented reality, podcasts, advertising and marketing campaigns requires someone with an understanding of sound design. The growing list of companies that have hired Michigan Tech sound design graduates includes: