Edwin B. Johnson
- BS Metallurgical and Materials Engineering 1947
Edwin B. Johnson began his career in research at Cleveland-Cliffs in 1948 as a metallurgist in Ishpeming. Rising through the ranks in Ishpeming, Ned became range metallurgist in 1955, chief metallurgist in 1963 and assistant manager of Michigan mines in 1964. In 1966, he was promoted to manager of Michigan mines. Ned moved to Cleveland OH in 1970, when he was promoted to general manager of mines. Ned was Vice President of Operations during the construction of the Tilden plant and became President of Cleveland-Cliffs Iron Co in 1983. He held that position until his retirement in 1986.
Edwin is a strong supporter of Michigan Tech and the Materials Science and Engineering Department. He has established the Edwin B. and Lois M. Johnson Endowed Scholarship for the benefit of MSE students, is a regular contributor to the Department's gift fund, and supports the Huskies Athletic Fund.