Kinesiology and Integrative Physiology

Exercise Science—BS

Exercise Your Passion for the Health Sciences

Noncommunicable disease is outstripping infectious disease as the leading global health concern. There is a critical need for health care providers trained to help people manage chronic conditions and address lifestyle-related epidemics, such as obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. The professionals on the front lines of advancing preventative care include physical therapists, chiropractors, physicians, and personal trainers.

If you are motivated to empower others through restoring physiological health or promoting overall wellness, a Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science from Michigan Tech will provide you with a strong scientific basis for developing an eye toward disease and injury prevention.

As an exercise science major, you will attain exceptional preparation for any health or allied health career pathway. Our versatile degree supports a wide range of professional interests—from coaching people in achieving their individual fitness, nutritional, or athletic goals; to rehabilitating patients with injuries or physical conditions; to treating and preventing disease through traditional or alternative medicine; and many other career aspirations.

Achieving Excellence

Alyssa Smith

Alyssa Smith, exercise science major, has been named the winner of the 2019 American Kinesiology Association (AKA) National Undergraduate Scholar Award. The AKA is an organization of over 175 kinesiology departments housed in colleges and universities nationwide and promotes and enhances kinesiology as a united field of study. Alyssa was selected from a national pool of AKA nominated scholars. She will receive a $250 voucher from Human Kinetics and be listed in the archive of award recipients on the AKA website.

A Scientifically Grounded Program

When you delve into our rigorous program—oriented toward science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education—you will explore the disciplines that underpin human physiology, the mechanics of human movement, motor learning, and more. Develop a broad foundation in science through course work in biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics, and gain an in-depth understanding of exercise science, kinesiology, and integrative physiology.

Career Pathways

An exercise science degree provides students with an entrance into a field with diverse career options. Approximately 70 percent of our exercise science graduates go on to a professional program in graduate education within the health sciences, and the remaining 30 percent seek employment in the health fitness industry and other areas.