Become a Research Assistant, and Build Your Résumé
We encourage motivated undergraduate students to get involved with departmental research. Undergraduate research assistants have the opportunity to participate in human subject recruitment, data acquisition, and data analysis.
Some research assistant positions are paid; however, the greatest benefit is the significant hands-on experience students gain while working alongside faculty. Assisting in a research lab is a particularly effective way to distinguish yourself and get an edge up during the application process for medical school, a physical therapy program, or another type of graduate program.
In addition, some of our top undergraduate students have been able to add published research to their résumés!
Note: undergraduate student names are bold
Hendrickson, J.L., Bye, T.K., Cockfield, B.A., Carter, K.R., Elmer, S.J. (2020). Developing a science outreach program and promotion “PhUn all year with rural K-12 students. Advances in Physiology Education, 44, 212-216.
- Bruning J, Chapp A, Kaurala GA, Wang R, Techtmann S, Chen QH*. Gut Microbiota and Short Chain Fatty Acids: Influence on the Autonomic Nervous System. Neurosci Bull. 2019 Jul 12. doi: 10.1007/s12264-019-00410
- Bye, T.K., Carter, K.R., Elmer, S.J. (2019). An outside the box activity to demonstrate how humans and animals turn. Advances in Physiology Education, 43, 282-287.
- Chapp AD, Behnke JE, Driscoll KM, Fan Y, Hoban E, Shan Z, Zhang L, Chen QH*. Acetate Mediates Alcohol Excitotoxicity in Dopaminergic-Like PC12 Cells. ACS Chem Neurosci. 2018 Sep 24. doi: 10.1021/acschemneuro.8b00189. [Epub ahead of print]
- VanSumeren, A.L., Kilgas, M.A., Bye, T.K., Anderson, D.J., Elmer, S.J. (2018). Influence of the lower-body on seated arm cranking performance. International Journal of Sports Medicine, 39, 757-763.
- Larson RA, Le Gui, Huber MJ, Chapp AD, Zhu J, LaGrange LP, Shan Z, Chen QH*. Sympathoexcitation in ANG II-salt hypertension involves reduced SK channel function in the hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus. Am J Physiology Heart Circulation Physiology 2015 308(12):H1547-55.
- Chapp AD, Gui L, Huber MJ, Larson RA, Zhu J, Carter JR and Chen QH*. Sympathoexcitation and pressor responses induced by ethanol in the central nucleus of amygdala involves activation of NMDA receptors in rats. Am J Physical Heart Circulation Physiology 2014;307(5):H701-9.
- Yang H, Cooke WH, Reed KS, and Carter JR. Sex differences in hemodynamic and sympathetic neural firing patterns during orthostatic challenge in humans. Journal of Applied Physiology 112:1744-1751, 2012. Epub March 8, 2012.
- Durocher JJ, Lufkin KM, King ME, and Carter JR. Social technology restriction alters state anxiety but not autonomic activity in humans. American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory, Integrative, and Comparative Physiology 301:R1773-R1778, 2011. Epub Sept 28, 2011.
- Klein JC, Crandall CG, Brothers RM, and Carter JR. Combined heat and mental stress alters neurovascular control in humans. Journal of Applied Physiology 109:1880-1886, 2010. Epub Sept 30, 2010.
- Durocher JJ, Guisfredi AJ, Leetun DT and Carter JR. Comparison of on-ice and off-ice graded exercise testing in collegiate hockey players. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism 35:35-39, 2010.
How do I sign up?
You will be introduced to available undergraduate research options, and the process for getting involved, when you take your introductory kinesiology courses (KIP 1000 or KIP 1010).
In the Department of Kinesiology and Integrative Physiology, we don’t just disseminate knowledge—we create new knowledge. Inquire about undergraduate research assistantships today, and participate in the scientific breakthroughs of tomorrow.