Studies show that students who use Michigan Tech’s Learning Centers earn better grades. Some of the best students encounter academic problems because they’ve never had to study before. While high school may have been very easy, you may feel challenged in this new and more rigorous academic environment. Learning Centers, organized by discipline, can help you succeed.
Learning Centers are staffed by students who have been successful in learning academic material. They offer coaching on subjects ranging from differential equations and organic chemistry to writing an essay and getting tips on learning and taking tests.
Most centers offer weekly appointments for long-term improvement, walk-in hours for short-term help with an immediate problem, and team/peer learning.
If you feel as though you’re falling behind in class, or if you’d like to boost your grades, visit a Learning Center.
- Mondays - 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m and 1:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Tuesdays - 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Wednesdays - 11:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Thursdays - 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Fridays - 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Email email@example.com or call 906-487-3558 to schedule an appointment, for questions, or for more information.
Biological Sciences Learning Center
- Monday-Thursday - 11:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. and 7:00p.m.–9:00 p.m,
- Sunday - 7:00p.m.-9:00 p.m.
Contact Brigitte Morin at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or for more information
Career Services Advising
- Accepting in-person, virtual or telephone appointments
- Monday-Friday - 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Make an appointment using Handshake.
Contact Career Services at email@example.com with any questions or for more information.
Chemical Engineering Learning Commons
Spring 2023 Schedule
- Monday-Thursday - 6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m.
Chemistry Learning Center (CLC)
- First-Year Chemistry Hours
- Monday-Thursday - 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m.
- Friday - 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Sunday - 7:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m.
- Organic Chemistry Hours
- Monday and Tuesday - 7:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m.
Contact Susan Liebau a firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or for more information.
Civil, Environmental, and Geospatial Engineering Learning Center
College of Business (COB)
College of Computing Learning Center (CCLC)
Electrical and Computer Engineering Learning Center
Engineering Fundamentals Learning Center
- Sunday-Thursday - 7:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m.
Schedule appointments via TimeSlot for Dillman 202
Contact the Engineering Fundamentals Learning Center administrative team at email@example.com or 906-487-3057 with questions or for more information
Forestry Learning Center
Individual tutoring: Xi Sigma Pi honor society will provide virtual tutoring to students in the College of Forest Resources and Environmental Science classes. The tutoring is open to any Michigan Tech student, not just those who are in an CFRES major. Contact Stacy Cotey at firstname.lastname@example.org or 906-487-2953 with questions or for more information.
Geology Learning Center
- Tuesday - 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday - 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Dow room 604 (waterfront side of the building)
Graduate Language Assessment and Support (GLAS)
To learn more or make a virtual appointment, visit our website at Graduate School or email Sarah Isaacson, GLAS Program Director, at email@example.com.
Library Ask Us!
If you are looking for assistance, visit: Library Services During COVID-19 Response
Contact Erin Matas at Erin Matas at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or for more information.
Materials Science and Engineering Learning Center
Mathematics Learning Center
- Sunday, 6–9 p.m.
- Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m.–5 p.m. and 7–9 p.m.
- Friday, 10 a.m.–3p.m.
Schedule an appointment: (recurring): Use TimeSlot to make an appointment.
Statistics: Limited hours can be found in this schedule
Contact the MLC at email@example.com with any questions or for more information.
Mechanical Engineering Learning Center
Michigan Tech Writing Center
Spring 2023 Hours: 10:00 am - 7:00 pm Monday - Friday
Services: Since 1975, the Michigan Tech Writing Center has been offering free, collaborative, peer-to-peer assistance on writing projects of all kinds and at all stages of development, in a warm, welcoming, inclusive, and judgement free environment. Both online and in-person. Writing Center coaches can help with:
- Writing for any Michigan Tech undergraduate class
- CVs/resumes, cover letters
- Personal, research, and scholarly statements
- Grant and fellowship proposals
- Creative writing
- Scientific and technical reports
- Start-up materials and elevator pitches
- Classroom and professional presentations
- Conference and job talks
- Slide and poster design
- English language learning issues, pronunciation, and conversation practice
- Procrastination and writer's block
- Brainstorming, development, revision, and editing
- Reading comprehension
- Interview practice
- Shyness/stage fright
- And much more:
Contact Assistant Director, Claire Helakoski at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Physics Learning Center
- Sunday - 7-9 p.m.
- Monday through Thursday - 1-5 p.m. and 7-9 p.m.
- Friday - 1-5 p.m.
See Physics Learning Center webpage to schedule a one-on-one appointment with a physics coach.
Contact Dr. Weidman at email@example.com with any questions or for more information.