An Afternoon on the Town
An Afternoon on the Town is an opportunity for local businesses/services to welcome students and show them what they have to offer. All area businesses and groups are invited to participate and all students are welcome to attend.
41registered businesses and organizations
843students who completed the entire route
1024unique student participants
$3,000+donated in prizes each year
Thank you to everyone who joined us at An Afternoon on the Town 2023 which was held on Saturday, August 26, 2023. We hope to see you back next year! Save the date for An Afternoon on the Town 2024 which is scheduled for Saturday, August 24, 2023 from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
This event is hosted by: Student Leadership and Involvement, Waino Wahtera Center for Student Success, and Residence Education and Housing Services.
The 2023 event was sponsored by the MTEC SmartZone, with support from the MEDC.
Thank you to all of our 2023 Prize Donors, including: Flagstar Bank, Border Grill, League of Women Voters of the Copper Country, Goodwill Industries of Northern WI and Upper MI, Copper Country Running Company, Isle Royale and Keweenaw Parks Association, Keweenaw Land Trust, Pizza Hut, The Well Read Raccoon Books & Curiosities, the Keweenaw Chamber of Commerce, Walgreens, Walmart, Studio 13, Black Ice Comics & Books, Sew Irresistible, Steep and Brew Coffee, Urban Rustics, Evangel Community Church, Respawn Tactical Laser Tag, Red Jacket Boutique, Swift Hardware, and Joey's Seafood & Grill.
Information for Students:
Starting on campus, down College Avenue, and throughout the downtown Houghton area on Shelden Avenue there will be music, refreshments, and giveaways for student participants. Students will also be entered to win prizes after tapping their ID's at BOTH tapper locations on the route. The first tap in station and start of the route will be located on the north side of the Memorial Union Building. The second tap location will be located downtown on the south side of Shelden Avenue in front of the Quality Inn and Suites. Check out our 2023 participating groups on the map below! The Walking Map shows where they will be for An Afternoon on the Town, while the Business Map shows the groups permanent locations.
Would you benefit from accommodations in order to participate in An Afternoon on the Town? A limited-capacity van will be available to provide rides to high-density route points and desired businesses. More information will be shared prior to next year's event.
Information for Businesses:
Registration for An Afternoon on the Town 2024 will open in June.
As your group prepares for An Afternoon on the Town, please keep in mind:
- Organizations located on the main route (walking from the Memorial Building Union through downtown on Shelden Avenue) will be expected to host from their location. Organizations not located on the route will be assigned a space along College or Shelden Ave and provided with a table.
- There is no registration fee.
- This is your opportunity to connect with the students of Michigan Tech and allow them to get to know the services that are near their new home in the Keweenaw!
- We recommend promoting services, specials, and what makes your business/group unique.
- You are asked to refrain from selling any type of food or merchandise at your table. If you would like to provide food samples please refer to this website for permits, rules and regulations set forth by the Health Department: https://www.wupdhd.org/resources-for-food-establishments/
- Please remember to respect noise ordinances.
- Each business is responsible for cleaning up their space after the event.
- The deadline to register for 2024 will be on Wednesday, August 14, 2024.
Questions? Please contact Student Leadership and Involvement at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 906-487-1963.
See you at An Afternoon on the Town!