What is HuskyLEAD?
HuskyLEAD is a Leadership Education and Development series for all Michigan Tech students. We believe that leadership development is essential for all students to truly make an impact on campus and society. This program encourages all students from campus leaders and student organization officers, to individuals who just want to learn, to elevate their leadership skills by learning the best techniques, skills, and tips for their personal, organizational, and professional success.
What skills are built through participation in the HuskyLEAD Series?
The HuskyLEAD series focuses on five different leadership competencies:
- Self-Awareness: Part of strong leadership is learning about yourself – strengths, weaknesses, and personal values – and how to advance organizations and individuals using that self-knowledge.
- Teamwork: Cooperation and collaboration are important skills to learn as a leader. You will learn about how to use and navigate groups and teams to promote strong leadership.
- Communication: Leaders must understand the "how" and "why" behind communication in order to understand how others can best contribute, how to share information effectively with others, and how to send the desired message.
- Ethical Practices: The ethical practices of leaders are constantly challenged. Leaders must stay congruent with ethical principles and practices and the value of affecting others lives positively.
- Social Responsibility: As leaders, one of our goals is to understand our roles as members of multiple communities and how we can better the lives of those in those communities through direct and/or indirect involvement.
Fall 2024 HuskyLEAD Schedule
Robert's Rules Crash Course
Thursday, September 14th at 6:00 PM
MUB Alumni Lounge B & C
"Motion to require new members to attend the Robert's Rules Crash Course so they know what's happening during meeting. Do I have a second? Second! All those in favor? Aye!" If you're feeling lost or simply need a refresher, come join Amy Hjerstedt, our resident Robert's Rules pro, to brush up on how to effectively run or participate in a meeting using parliamentary procedure. Basics about agendas, making motions, hosting discussion, voting, and minutes will be covered.
Building a Brand
Thursday, October 5th at 6:00 PM
MUB Alumni Lounge A
Join us for an immersive workshop on Building a Brand, where you'll discover the strategies and insights needed to create a brand that resonates, engages, and leaves a lasting impact. In this interactive workshop, Haley Goodreau of University Marketing and Communications will guide you through the essential components of crafting a brand that not only stands out but also fosters loyalty and growth. Topics will include brand identity essentials, visual branding and design, crafting your story, and engaging with your audience.
Inclusion Takes Action
Tuesday, October 17th at 6:00 PM
MUB Ballroom A1
In today's rapidly evolving world, the call for true inclusion has never been more critical. However, the gap between intention and action can often hinder progress. This workshop aims to bridge that gap by providing you with the tools, strategies, and insights needed to transform your commitment to inclusion into practical, sustainable change. Through interactive discussions and real-world scenarios, we will identify tangible ways that you and your communities can take action to ensure every student feels they belong.
Navigating Leadership Through Personality Styles
Tuesday, November 7th at 6:00 PM
MUB Alumni Lounge A & B
Are you ready to unlock the secrets behind effective leadership? Join us for an immersive and enlightening workshop on "Navigating Leadership Through Personality Styles." This transformative event is designed to equip individuals at every level of leadership with the insights and skills necessary to harness the power of personality diversity and drive impactful change. This workshop will be lead by personality guru and Residence Education Coordinator, Makenzie Joseph.