International Travel

International travel includes any travel on University business outside of the United States, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Northern Mariana Islands, and Canada.

All University faculty/staff must submit a Concur Travel Request, and receive approval, prior to international travel.  Concur Travel Requests must be approved by the department chair/director or the next higher level of authority. Flight information and contact information abroad (telephone numbers and addresses) must be provided to the approving individual prior to departure.

If travel is being charged to a federally sponsored project, it is required that a U.S. carrier be used (Fly America Act). Any exceptions to the Fly America Act should be discussed with the Sponsored Programs Office prior to the purchase of the airline ticket.

International Travel Insurance

Liability coverage is available to employees traveling internationally on University business. This coverage does not include the costs of medication or health care, which should be covered separately by a health care plan or temporary additional insurance. The coverage is limited to general liability, which provides coverage for personal injury and/or property damage to others, auto liability, workers’ compensation (if eligible), and some medical assistance coverage that is not available through Blue Cross/Blue Shield. This coverage includes accidental death and dismemberment, emergency medical evacuation, emergency family travel assistance, and repatriation of remains.

For coverage to apply, a Concur Travel Request must be completed and approved prior to departure. If the approval is not received prior to traveling, this coverage may not apply.

Travel Guard Assistance Card

AIG Travel Assist provides medical, personal, and travel assistance services for individuals traveling to foreign countries. Please print a copy of the Travel Guard Assistance Card which includes contact information, the University’s policy number, and provides a list of services. Carry this card with you while traveling. Coverage applies to anywhere in the world, except in the United States (including its territories and possession), Puerto Rico, or any country or jurisdiction that is subject to trade or economic sanctions imposed by the laws or regulations of the United States.

University-Covered Expenses

International expenses include expenditures incurred for travel, meals, lodging, transportation, exchange rate fees, and other items necessary for the conduct of University business.

Ordinarily, general fund indexes cannot be charged for international travel. Any exception must be approved by the appropriate Vice President prior to travel.


  1. Log into Concur.
  2. Choose Request/ New Request. 
  3. Complete and submit request information, which would include:

    1. Destination
    2. Date of departure—business/professional travel
    3. Date of return—business/professional travel
    4. Purpose and benefits derived to the University (if charging a general fund index, justification is also needed)
    5. Source of funds
  4. Request is routed in Concur for appropriate approvals.