The mission of the Center for Diversity and Inclusion at Michigan Technological University is to foster student success by providing engaging programs that create safe spaces for students of multiple social and cultural identities.
Through a broad range of services, workshops, and events we foster student success by:
- Providing a welcoming and safe environment for all students
- Encouraging cross-cultural interactions and conversations
- Supporting the exploration of differences as well as similarities
- Recognizing and celebrating the contributions of historically marginalized populations
- Facilitating students’ self-exploration and exploration of others’ identities, and
- Collaborating on campus initiatives that support/foster cultural diversity
We invite the Michigan Tech community to embrace a deeper understanding and appreciation for diversity, inclusion, and social justice.
Goals and Strategies
Create workshops to provide a menu of options for students to engage in critical thinking on topics of social justice.
Develop a student diversity council representative of multiple student identities with the goal of creating community and sharing concerns with the upper administration.
Conduct a sense of belonging survey for underrepresented students and complete one-on-one interviews and focus groups to assess how the students are feeling and why.