There are many health resources available to students throughout the local community.
UP Health System - Portage
At UP Health System - Portage we are committed to going above and beyond to ensure our patients receive the best quality of care close to home. Our providers, nurses, volunteers, and staff are dedicated to our mission of making communities healthier. Our hospital offers a variety of services including:
- Cancer care
- Emergency services
- General surgery
- Internal medicine
- and more
To find our full listing of services, visit UPHealthSystem.Com. Note: Release of information (ROI) form can be completed by students 18 years and older if they wish to have their medical information released to parents, guardians, etc. The ROI expires one year after the patient signs it. Completed ROI forms can be:
- Emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mailed to medical records at 500 Campus Drive, Hancock, MI 49930
- Or dropped off at Medical Records at UP Health System-Portage
Houghton Express Care
UP Health System - Portage has two convenient locations for Express Care - Calumet and Houghton. We provide services for acute illnesses and injuries for patients of all ages. We are staffed by skilled and friendly healthcare providers including nurse practitioners and physician assistants.
- 921 W. Sharon Ave in Houghton (across from Burger King)
- Ph: 906.483.1777
- Open 9 am – 6 pm Saturday - Sunday
- Holiday hours (Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day) include 9 am - 2 pm
UP Health System - Portage offers comprehensive pharmacy services for students located on campus (SDC). These services include free home delivery, over-the-counter items requested, and more. All students must fill out a release form.
- Ph: 906.483.1818
Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine
All students have access to physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy at UP Health System - Portage rehab and Sports Medicine clinic at the University Center (SDC).
- Ph: 906.483.1888
- Open Monday - Friday: 7:30 am - 6 pm
Upper Great Lakes Family Health Center-University Center
Upper Great Lakes Family Health Center- Houghton Clinic offers a convenient healthcare experience providing high-quality, affordable healthcare for Michigan Technological University Students. The UGL Houghton Clinic is attached to the Student Development Complex on campus.
Same Day Care Options
UGL offers convenient options for same day appointments; Monday through Friday from 8:00 am- 4:30 pm. Same Day Care Visits are available to be scheduled online or by calling 906-483-1860 or by walk-in to our clinic location
*Please note appointments are not needed and walk in’s are welcome for same day care. For greater convenience, you can skip the line and schedule a same day visit online or by calling 906-483-1860.
Same day/walk in care conditions treated include:
- Bug bites
- Ear cleaning
- Ear pain/pressure
- Eye discharge
- Influenza testing
- Influenza vaccines
- Minor burn
- Minor bites
- Minor injury or wound
- Minor/mild skin infections
- Minor strains and sprains
- Minor wound care
- Pregnancy test
- Runny nose/sinus
- Seasonal allergies
- Sore throat
- Strep throat testing
- Suture/staple removal
- Tetanus vaccines
- Tick bites
- Urinary tract infection/Bladder infection
Primary Care Services
UGL offers preventive and wellness care and screening; care for illnesses and injuries; diagnosis, treatment and management for health conditions; health education; referral to specialty care as needed. To read more about our primary care provider team, please visit Upper Great Lakes Family Health to learn more.
- Sport injuries: Sport Injury Walk In Clinic is available Monday from 4 p.m.–5:30 p.m. during the school year.
- Clinical Services: UGL provides integrated medical and behavioral health services through our on-site health care team consisting of a family medicine provider, a health coach, nursing and care management staff.
- Lab and x-ray: UP Health System provides lab and x-ray services on-site Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm.
- Telehealth: UGL offers telehealth visits as a convenience to students. UGL may recommend or require a telehealth appointment for services if you currently have certain symptoms.
- Dental Care: Dental services area available at Calumet Family Health Center. Talk to your provider to get connected to a dentist.
- Reduced fees are available through our sliding fee program for qualifying individuals. Speak to a member of our team to get connected to a financial counselor, and find out more information.
- Please visit our website at www.uglhealth.org to learn more about our services
- Online Scheduling: Schedule an in person visit via our online scheduling system
- Phone Call Scheduling: Appointments can be made by contacting us by phone at 906-483-1860
Before Your Visit
- You will receive a reminder of your upcoming appointment on the phone number listed on your profile.
- Be prepared to bring your insurance card and all medications you are currently taking to your office visit.
During Your Visit
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time.
- Let a member of our staff know if you need special assistance (translator, transportation, etc.)
- Sign up for our patient portal! You can review your diagnostic results, communicate with our practice, review your visit summary, and much more. If you are an existing patient, you can sign up yourself here: Create your own patient portal account.
After Your Visit
- Please schedule your recommended follow-up appointment
- Be sure to get any labs or imaging completed and pick up any prescribed medications.
Aspirus Keweenaw Hospital (Laurium)
Aspirus Keweenaw offers full range emergency care 24/7 at the Aspirus Keweenaw Hospital. The hospital is located at 205 Osceola St in Laurium. The Aspirus Keweenaw Hospital can be reached by calling 906-337-6500. No appointments are needed for emergency services.
Treatments and Services
- Emergency Services
- Onsite Ultrasound, X-ray, CT, MRI
- 3D Mammography
- Onsite Pharmacy
- Stroke Care
- Infusion Services
- Wound Care
- Fully accredited Sleep Lab
- Joint Replacement
- Cardiac & Pulmonary Rehab
- Laboratory Services
- Home Health and Hospice
- Inpatient Therapies
An online directory of physicians and hospitals/clinics may be found on the Aspirus Keweenaw website.
Aspirus - Houghton Clinic
The Aspirus Houghton Clinic is located at 1000 Cedar St. (behind Wal-Mart) and can be reached by calling 906-487-1710.
- Open 8 a.m.–7 p.m. Monday to Friday
- Full-service clinic offering Family Medicine, Orthopedics, Women's Health, Midwifery, OB, Pediatrics, Pediatric Telepsychiatry, Ophthalmology, Urology, General Surgery, Heart Care, Acupuncture, Dermatology, and Headache Therapy.
- Onsite therapy services including Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy.
- Lab, x-ray, ultrasound, and mammography onsite.
- Full-service pharmacy onsite. Prescription deliveries available to your home, office, or residence hall room.
- Appointments (recommended) are always available, same-day or next-day. Walk-in visits welcome.
- A sliding fee scale (discounted rate) is available for qualified individuals who are uninsured or under-insured.
- Aspirus is a Patient-Centered Medical Home and a Patient-Centered Medical Home-Neighbor.
- An online directory of physicians and hospitals/clinics may be found on the Aspirus Keweenaw website.
Michigan Tech students can take the City of Houghton Downtown Shuttle to the clinic. Visit the Michigan Tech Transportation Services page for shuttle schedules and information.
Western Upper Peninsula Health Department (Hancock)
The Westerns Upper Peninsula Health Department in Hancock has a variety of offerings and services. More information can be found by visiting their website (Western Upper Peninsula Health Department), or by calling the Hancock office at 906-482-7382. Women, Infants, and Children (WIC).
Treatments and Services
- Reproductive Health
- Disease Prevention
- Pregnant Women and Children
- Community Health and Wellness
Copper Shores Community Support & Outreach (former Dial Help)
Unite Mental Health and Wellness
Located on College Ave, Unite Mental Health and Wellness is a nonprofit mental health service organization committed to helping individuals in our community connect to non-emergency mental healthcare. Partnering with providers both locally and remotely, we aim to support professionals and services currently available in our community while filling in the gaps where care may be lacking.
Hours: 9am - 5pm and by appointment Monday - Friday