There are many health resources available to students throughout the local community.
Upper Great Lakes Family Health Center-University Center
Upper Great Lakes Family Health Center- Houghton Clinic offers a convenient healthcare experience providing high-quality, affordable healthcare for Michigan Technological University Students. The UGL Houghton Clinic is attached to the Student Development Complex on campus.
Same Day Care Options
UGL offers convenient options for same day appointments; Monday through Friday from 8:00 am- 4:30 pm. Same Day Care Visits are available to be scheduled online or by calling 906-483-1860 or by walk-in to our clinic location
*Please note appointments are not needed and walk in’s are welcome for same day care. For greater convenience, you can skip the line and schedule a same day visit online or by calling 906-483-1860.
Same day/walk in care conditions treated include:
- Bug bites
- Ear cleaning
- Ear pain/pressure
- Eye discharge
- Influenza testing
- Influenza vaccines
- Minor burn
- Minor bites
- Minor injury or wound
- Minor/mild skin infections
- Minor strains and sprains
- Minor wound care
- Pregnancy test
- Runny nose/sinus
- Seasonal allergies
- Sore throat
- Strep throat testing
- Suture/staple removal
- Tetanus vaccines
- Tick bites
- Urinary tract infection/Bladder infection
Primary Care Services
UGL offers preventive and wellness care and screening; care for illnesses and injuries; diagnosis, treatment and management for health conditions; health education; referral to specialty care as needed. To read more about our primary care provider team, please visit https://uglhealth.org/houghton-family-health-center/ to learn more.
- Sport injuries: Sport Injury Walk In Clinic is available Monday from 4 p.m.–5:30 p.m. during the school year.
- Clinical Services: UGL provides integrated medical and behavioral health services through our on-site health care team consisting of a family medicine provider, a health coach, nursing and care management staff.
- Lab and x-ray: UP Health System provides lab and x-ray services on-site Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm.
- Telehealth: UGL offers telehealth visits as a convenience to students. UGL may recommend or require a telehealth appointment for services if you currently have certain symptoms.
- Dental Care: Dental services area available at Calumet Family Health Center. Talk to your provider to get connected to a dentist.
- Reduced fees are available through our sliding fee program for qualifying individuals. Speak to a member of our team to get connected to a financial counselor, and find out more information.
- Please visit our website at www.uglhealth.org to learn more about our services
- Online Scheduling: Schedule an in person visit via our online scheduling system
- Phone Call Scheduling: Appointments can be made by contacting us by phone at 906-483-1860
Before Your Visit
- You will receive a reminder of your upcoming appointment on the phone number listed on your profile.
- Be prepared to bring your insurance card and all medications you are currently taking to your office visit.
During Your Visit
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time.
- Let a member of our staff know if you need special assistance (translator, transportation, etc.)
- Sign up for our patient portal! You can review your diagnostic results, communicate with our practice, review your visit summary, and much more. If you are an existing patient, you can sign up yourself here: Create your own patient portal account.
- Please schedule your recommended follow-up appointment
- Be sure to get any labs or imaging completed and pick up any prescribed medications.
UP Health System - Portage Express Care (Houghton)
At UP Health System-Portage Express Care, we provide services for acute illnesses and injuries for patients of all ages. We are conveniently open daily and treat non-life-threatening illnesses and injuries. Express Care is staffed by skilled and friendly health care providers including nurse practitioners and physician assistants.
- Located at 921 W. Sharon Ave in Houghton, directly across from Burger King
- Open 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. Sunday through Saturday
- Open Holidays 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. (Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day)
- Call 906-483-1777, or visit UP Health Express-Care to see a list of common conditions treated at Express Care.
UP Health System–Hospital (Hancock)
UP Health System – Portage is located at 500 Campus Drive in Hancock and by calling 906-483-1000.
- Open 24 hours, 365 days per year
- Find a Provider that is right for you at UP Health System Portage.
- An online directory of all providers able to help in our area can be found at UP Health System – Portage's website.
- Release of Information (ROI) forms can be completed by students 18 years and older
if they wish to have their medical information released to parents, guardians, etc.
The ROI expires one year after the patients signs it.
- UP Health System Medical Records Release of Information
- Completed ROI forms can be:
- Emailed to email@example.com
- Mailed to Medical Records, 500 Campus Drive, Hancock, MI 49930
- Or dropped off at Medical Records at UP Health System-Portage in Hancock
- UP Health System – Portage is part of the UP Health System with locations and services throughout the Upper Peninsula
Comprehensive pharmacy services located on campus at the SDC and by calling 906-483-1818.
- Free home delivery of medications is available to students who live off campus.
- Over-the-counter items can be requested for delivery with prescriptions.
- Most prescriptions can be transferred from out-of-town pharmacies for the convenience of the student.
- UP Health System Apothecary Release Form
UP Health System - Portage Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine
Students have convenient access to Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Speech Therapy services at the UP Health System-Portage Rehab and Sports Medicine clinic located in the UP Health System—Portage University Center.
- The rehab center is attached to the Student Development Complex on campus and can be reached by calling 906-483-1888.
- The clinic is open to students and the public every weekday (Monday-Friday) from 7:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- The clinic is staffed with therapists with multiple certifications and specialties
- UP Health System is the official provider of Sports Medicine for Michigan Technological University Athletics
Aspirus Keweenaw-Houghton Clinic
The Aspirus Houghton Clinic is located at 1000 Cedar St. (behind Wal-Mart) and can be reached by calling 906-487-1710.
- Open 7 a.m.–7 p.m. Monday to Thursday, 7 a.m.–5 p.m. Friday, and 9 a.m.–1p.m. Saturday.
- Full-service clinic offering Family Medicine, Orthopedics, Women's Health, Midwifery, OB, Pediatrics, Pediatric Telepsychiatry, Ophthalmology, Urology, General Surgery, Heart Care, Acupuncture, and Headache Therapy.
- Onsite therapy services including Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy.
- Lab, x-ray, ultrasound, and mammography onsite.
- Full-service pharmacy onsite. Prescription deliveries available to your home, office, or residence hall room.
- Appointments (recommended) are always available, same-day or next-day. Walk-in visits welcome.
- A sliding fee scale (discounted rate) is available for qualified individuals who are uninsured or under-insured.
- Aspirus is a Patient-Centered Medical Home and a Patient-Centered Medical Home-Neighbor.
- An online directory of physicians and hospitals/clinics may be found on the Aspirus Keweenaw website.
Michigan Tech students can take the City of Houghton Downtown Shuttle to the clinic. Visit the Michigan Tech Transportation Services page for shuttle schedules and information.
Aspirus Keweenaw-Hospital (Calumet)
Aspirus Keweenaw offers full range emergency care 24/7 at the Level III Trauma Center at Aspirus Keweenaw Hospital. The hospital is located at 205 Osceola St in Laurium. The Aspirus Keweenaw Hospital can be reached by calling 906-337-6500. No appointments are needed for emergency services.
Treatments and Services
- Emergency Services
- Onsite Ultrasound, X-ray, CT, MRI
- 3D Mammography
- Onsite Pharmacy
- Stroke Care
- Joint Replacement
- Cardiac & Pulmonary Rehab
- Laboratory Services
- Home Health and Hospice
- Inpatient Therapies
An online directory of physicians and hospitals/clinics may be found on the Aspirus Keweenaw website.
Western Upper Peninsula Health Department (Hancock)
The Westerns Upper Peninsula Health Department in Hancock has a variety of offerings and services. More information can be found by visiting their website (Western Upper Peninsula Health Department), or by calling the Hancock office at 906-482-7382. Women, Infants, and Children (WIC).
Treatments and Services
- Reproductive Health
- Disease Prevention
- Pregnant Women and Children
- Community Health and Wellness
Dial Help, Inc
Call: 906-482-4357 or toll-free: 800-562-7622
Instant Message: Dial Help
Unite Mental Health and Wellness
Located on College Ave, Unite Mental Health and Wellness is a nonprofit mental health service organization committed to helping individuals in our community connect to non-emergency mental healthcare. Partnering with providers both locally and remotely, we aim to support professionals and services currently available in our community while filling in the gaps where care may be lacking.
Hours: 9am - 5pm and by appointment Monday - Friday