Electrical Engineering Technology majors put engineering ideas into action.
Mechatronics, robotics, automation and control, instrumentation, data acquisition. Graduates who understand these concepts are in-demand worldwide. Electrical Engineering Technology majors immerse themselves in these topics, top to bottom, through hands-on system design and implementation.
- Master fundamental electronics and electrical systems
- Gain hands-on engineering know-how
- Design, program, troubleshoot, and maintain automated systems
- Operate new, industry-grade learning equipment designed, constructed, and funded by Donald Engineering and other major companies
- Build the knowledge and skills essential for launching and advancing a career in the automation industry
"I enjoy learning by doing; that’s why the EET program at Michigan Tech was a perfect match for me. I went from building simple electronic circuits in my first year to creating complex controls systems for a company my senior year. ... I highly recommend the EET program to any student looking to pursue skills in robotics and controls and who enjoys building, designing, and learning by doing."
EET majors develop expertise in the computing aspects of Programmable Logic Controllers
Programmable Logic Controllers are the most commonly-used computers being used in industrial settings. Using advanced Amatrol mechatronics and process control stations, recently gifted to the College to the College by Leidos, you’ll gain hands-on engineering knowledge operating industry-grade equipment.
And, you’ll operate, program, and troubleshoot the same industrial FANUC robotic arms used in dozens of industrial applications.
Starting Salary for EET BS Graduates
- Michigan Tech Average: $68,390
- National Average (bls.gov): $58,080
- Job Placement Rate: 100 percent
Industrial control and automation is big business, and Michigan Tech EET graduates are highly-sought candidates for employment in pharmaceutical, food, automotive, manufacturing, and other industries.
Companies where recent EET grads have landed positions.
- Nucor Corporation (Steel and steel products)
- M. J. Electric (Electrical contractor, comprehensive construction services)
- Leidos (Scientific, technical, engineering, and systems integration services)
- Dematic (Materials handling systems, software and services)
- Faith Technologies, Inc. (Electrical planning, engineering, design, and installation)
- Systems Control (Design and manufacture of energy delivery control systems)
- Clasen Quality Coatings (wholesale manufacturer of confectionery coatings, chocolate, and fillings)
- Pieper Electric Inc. (Full-service electrical, mechanical, and automation contractor)
- Saudi Basic Industries Corp. (SABIC, Chemical manufacturing)
"Conducting research taught me CAD designing, wiring, assembling, market analysis, PLC and FANUC robot programming, and developed my communication skills. Getting research experience was incredible."
EET majors pursue funded research with faculty mentors as they learn to design, program, and maintain automated systems, experience that makes EET graduates highly-sought candidates for employment in industries including pharmaceutical, food, automotive, manufacturing, and others.
Michigan Tech EET graduates become quality control, product, applications, and process engineers, landing careers at GM, Tesla, Ford, FANUC, Harley Davidson, Systems Controls, AT&T, among others.
The College of Computing works closely with industrial advisory partners to ensure that the EET curriculum is current and relevant. You’ll earn a FANUC Robotic Automation Industrial Certificate—a huge advantage in your employment search.
Jobs held by EET graduates
- System Engineer
- Systems Test Engineer
- Product Engineer
- Software Engineer
- Quality Control Engineer
- Applications Engineer
- Process Engineer
Some employers of EET graduates
- Black & Veatch
- Consumers Power
- FANUC Robotics America
- Ford Motor Company
- Mayo Clinic
Recent Internships: CNSA, Cybersecurity, EET
- Alliance Laundry Systems
- Boise Cascade
- C Jackson Electric and Automat
- Caterpillar, Inc.
- CCI Systems, Inc
- Consistacom, Inc.
- Cooper Power Systems
- CSX Transportation
- DTE Energy
- Extreme Engineering Solutions
- GE Aviation
- General Motors
- Georgia-Pacific Corporation
- Harley-Davidson Motor Co
- Hitachi Global Storage Tech
- Johnsonville Sausage, LLC
- Los Alamos Nat'l Lab
- Mass Electric Construction Co.
- Material Handling Services, LL
- Mercury Marine
- Michigan Consolidated Gas Co
- Michigan Tech
- MTU Systems Admin Svcs
- NewPage Corporation
- Northern Star Industries
- Nucor Steel
- Packaging Corp. of America
- Parr Instrument Co.
- Sentry Insurance A Mutual Comp
- Systems Control
- USG Interiors, Inc.
- Wausau Paper