Kathryn A. Perrine
- Chem Sci 402C
- Assistant Professor, Chemistry
- Postdoctoral Scholar, University of California, Irvine
- Visiting Scientist, California Institute of Technology
- PhD, University of Delaware
- BS, University of South Carolina
The Perrine research group focuses on understanding reactions and processes at surfaces and interfaces, from pure metals, oxides, minerals to heterogeneous materials. We use a surface chemistry and surface science approach to connect molecular-level reactions at the gas/solid and liquid/solid interface. We also design meso- and nano-architectured materials using surface functionalization methods for next-generation heterogeneous catalysts and materials. Our aim is to understand the fundamental physical and chemical processes at interfaces to unravel surface mechanisms and transformations of materials, addressing challenges in catalysis and environmental science.
A variety of surface analysis instruments are utilized to understand surface chemistry, including vibrational spectroscopy, electron spectroscopies, mass spectrometry, scanning electron microscopy, and atomic force microscopy. Our program is multidisciplinary encompassing the fields of chemistry, physics, materials science, and engineering.
Links of Interest
- Surface chemistry and interfacial science
- Bridging reactions at the gas/solid and liquid/solid interfaces under model (ultra-high vacuum) and real (near ambient pressure) conditions
- Designing metal-oxide architectures and nanostructures on various substrates; Atomic Layer Deposition and tailored growth approaches
- Growth, properties, and reactions on heterogeneous structures for energy and environmental applications
- de Alwis, C.; Trought, M.; Lundeen, J.; Perrine, K. A. Effect of Cations on the Oxidation and Atmospheric Corrosion of Iron Interfaces to Minerals. J. Phys. Chem. A, 125, 36, 2021, 8047–8063.
- Trought, M. A.; Perrine, K. A. Investigating the Relationship between Adhesion Forces and Surface Functionalization using Atomic Force Microscopy. J. Chem. Educ. 98, 5, 2021, 1768–1775.
- de Alwis, C.; Perrine, K. A. In Situ PM-IRRAS at the Air/Electrolyte/Solid Interface Reveals Oxidation of Iron to Distinct Minerals. J. Phys. Chem. A., 124 33, 2020, 6735–6744.
- de Alwis, C.; Leftwich, T. R.; Perrine, K. A. New Approach to Simultaneous In Situ Measurements of the Air/Liquid/Solid Interface Using PM-IRRAS. Langmuir, 36, 13, 2020 3404–3414.
- Trought, M. A.; Wentworth, I.; Leftwich, T. R.; Perrine, K. A. Unraveling Surface Oxidation Mechanisms of Functionalization of Highly Oriented Pyrolytic Graphite. preprint on ChemRxiv 10.26434/chemrxiv.12907604.v1.
- Degaga, G.; Trought, M. A.; Nemsak, S.; Crumlin, E., Pandey, R.; Seel, M.; Perrine, K. A. Investigation of N2 Adsorption on Fe3O4(001) using Ambient Pressure Photoelectron Spectroscopy and Density Functional Theory. J. Chem. Phys. 152, 2020 054717.
- de Alwis, C.; Leftwich, T. R.; Mukherjee, P.; Denofre, A.; Perrine, K. A. Spontaneous Selective Deposition of Iron Oxide Nanoparticles on Graphite as model catalysts. Nanoscale Advances 1, 2019 4729-4744.
- Trought, M. A.; Wentworth, I.; de Alwis, C.; Leftwich, T. R.; Perrine, K. A. Influence of surface etching and oxidation on the morphological growth of Al2O3 by ALD. Surface Science, (690) 2019 121479.
- Perrine, K. A., Parry, K. M., Stern, A. C., Van Spyk, M. H. C., Makowski, M. J., Freites, J. A.; Winter, B., Tobias, D. J., Hemminger, J. C. Specific cation effects at aqueous solution-vapor interfaces: surfactant-like behavior of Li+ revealed by experiments and simulations. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 114(51) 2017 13363–13368.
- Perrine, K. A.; Van Spyk, M. H. C.; Margarella, A. M.; Winter, B.; Faubel, M.; Bluhm H.; Hemminger, J. C. Characterization of the acetonitrile aqueous solution/vapor interface by liquid-jet X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy. J. Phys. Chem. C, 118(50) 2014 29378–29388.
- Margarella, A. M.; Perrine, K. A.; Lewis, T.; Faubel, M.; Winter, B.; Hemminger, J. C. Dissociation of sulfuric acid in aqueous solution: determination of the photoelectron spectral fingerprints of H2SO4, HSO4- and SO4- in water. J. Phys. Chem. C, 117(16) 2013 8131-8137.
- Perrine, K. A.; Lin, J.-M..; Teplyakov, A. V. Controlling the formation of metallic nanoparticles on functionalized silicon surfaces. J. Phys. Chem. C, 116(27) 2012 14431-14444.
- Perrine, K. A.; Teplyakov, A. V. Metallic nanostructure formation limited by the surface hydrogen on silicon. Langmuir, 26 (15) 2010 12648-12658.
- Perrine, K. A.; Teplyakov, A. V. Reactivity of Selectively Terminated Single Crystal Silicon Surfaces. Chem. Soc. Rev., 39(8) 2010 3256 – 3274.
- National Science Foundation, “Mechanistic Studies of Water Disinfectants on Iron Interfaces” (2021)
- Michigan Space Grant Consortium Faculty SEED Grant (2020)
- Research Excellence Fund – Research Seed Grants (REF-RS), Michigan Technological University “Measuring in situ Surface Corrosion and Reactions on Interfaces to address Water Quality Challenges” (Spring 2020)
- College of Engineering Cross-cutting Initiative “2D materials transfer by dielectrophoresis for flexible electronics” College of Engineering Cross-cutting Initiative(2018)
- David J. and Valeria L. Pruett Graduate Research Fellowship (2018)
- National Science Foundation – Major Research Instrumentation “MRI: Acquisition of an Atomic Force Microscope for Force Measurement, Single-Molecule Manipulation and Other Applications” (2017) #CHE 1725818
- Research Excellence Fund – Research Seed Grants (REF-RS), Michigan Technological University “Designing tailored metal oxide mesostructures using functionalized carbon surfaces”(Fall 2017)
- American Vacuum Society (AVS) Meeting, 2021
- Michigan Space Grant Consortium Conference, 2021
- American Chemical Society (ACS) Meeting, Fall 2021
- American Chemical Society (ACS) Colloid and Surface Science Symposium, June 2021
- Materials Research Society (MRS) Meeting, Spring 2021
- #ChemistsLive American Chemical Society (ACS) cross divisional (virtual, invited) event, September 2020
- American Chemical Society (ACS) Meeting (invited), Fall 2020
- American Vacuum Society (AVS) Meeting, 2018
- American Chemical Society (ACS) Meeting, Fall 2018
- Minnesota AVS chapter Meeting, May 2017
- CH3511 - Physical Chemistry I Labs
- CH3521 - Physical Chemistry II Labs
- CH5665/MSE5665 - Surface and Interface Science
- CH1153 - University Chemistry Recitation
- CH3510 - Physical Chemistry I
- CH5520 - Chemical Kinetics