The library's Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service enables patrons to obtain materials not held by the Van Pelt and Opie Library, including books and other physical materials, as well as electronic copies of journal articles and papers. The library offers two ways to borrow materials through interlibrary loan, through access to the MeLCat and our Interlibrary Loan systems.
Try MeLCat First for Books
Use MeLCat (The Michigan eLibrary) to request books, DVDs, or CDs not found in the library’s catalog. Anyone with an active HuskyCard or Courtesy Borrowing Card may use MeLCat. See MeLCat Help for details on how to use this service.
Use Interlibrary Loan for Articles, Papers, and Books not Available in MeLCat
Use Interlibrary Loan to request a PDF of journal articles, conference papers, and book chapters not available in the library’s e-journals, databases or online catalog. Books not available through MeLCat can also be requested for loan using Interlibrary Loan. Interlibrary Loan is available for all Michigan Tech faculty, enrolled students, staff and emeriti.
View/renew Interlibrary Loan Materials.
Learn about our patron privacy practices and how to save your borrowing history.
Loan and Renewal Periods
|HuskyCard Holders (Faculty, Students, Staff)||Loan Period||Renewals|
|MeLCat (Regular Loan)||3 weeks||1|
|MeLCat (Short Loan)||
3-6 weeks *
|Courtesy Borrowing Card Holders (Community Patrons)||
|MeLCat (Regular Loan)||
|MeLCat (Short Loan)||
Service not available
Service not available
* Estimated—actual renewal periods vary by institution.
Borrowed items kept beyond their due date are overdue. The library will send regular overdue notices to the patron via email. Please see the library's Borrowing Rules and Fees chart for details.
- Library staff will make every effort to obtain requested items. However, we generally cannot obtain entire issues of journals, no-loan materials, textbooks, rare/unique items, or copies of standards.
- Interlibrary loan materials may not be placed on course reserves. Do let us know when items are needed for reserves.
Visiting Another Library?
MeLCat Visiting Patron Service enables anyone with an active HuskyCard or Courtesy Borrowing card to borrow materials from participating libraries.
The OCLC Reciprocal Faculty Borrowing program permits Michigan Tech faculty to access the collections of research libraries throughout North America. A card for the program may be obtained from the Library Service Desk. Because participating libraries may have different privileges, faculty are encouraged to contact the library they are visiting in advance for details.
Interlibrary Loan Policy
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is the sharing of resources between libraries to facilitate the research and instruction of members of the Michigan Technological University community (patrons). The library provides ILL services using two systems: Interlibrary Loan and MeLCat. The following information applies to all patrons of ILL, regardless of the system they use to request interlibrary loan services.
- All patron and transaction information will be kept confidential.
- This institution reserves the right to refuse or accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve a violation of copyright.
- The Patron is responsible for:
- Providing a clear and complete citation when submitting a request.
- Being aware of and promptly responding to ILL notices sent via Michigan Tech email. Please see the library's Borrowing Rules and Fees chart for details.
- Returning all borrowed items by the due date in the same condition in which they were received.
- Returning any items recalled by the lending library within 3 days of being notified.
- Honoring the due date and any special instructions noted on the borrowed item.
- Requesting a renewal for a borrowed item before the due date.
- Returning overdue items or responding to overdue notices promptly.
- Reporting any lost or damaged ILL materials to email@example.com or 906-487-3207.
- Paying any recall fines, repair costs or replacement fees. See the Borrowing Rules and Fees chart for more details.
- Initiating an appeal for library charges. See Appealing Library Charges policy for details.
- Reading and understanding the following statement regarding United States copyright
law and ILL:
The copyright law of the United States, Title 17, US Code, governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research.” If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use,” that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
- Patrons who fail to observe their ILL responsibilities and the ILL policies may be blocked from ILL use and incur fines and fees.