F-1 Status Work Options

Employment is work performed in exchange for compensation. Compensation can include money, room and board, or other benefits. Volunteer work is unpaid. You are eligible to volunteer for non-profit charitable organizations. But you still need to check with IPS before you do. 

Before accepting any kind of paid or volunteer position, contact International Programs and Services to be sure it is allowed.

Here are some helpful Talking Points when talking with a potential employer

Post Graduation Employment

H1B and Permanent Residence


Got Questions about Optional Practical Training (OPT)? 

Join Machel Borsum every Tuesday at 1:00-2:00 pm by Zoom to get all your questions answered. Or email opt@mtu.edu to set up a 1:1 appointment.