Who is eligible?
Student with F-1 status can work on campus up to 20 hours per week during the academic year, and full time during Thanksgiving break, winter break, spring break, and summer.
What is required:
- Registered as a full-time student
- In the United States at least 10 days
- On-campus job offer letter/employment verification form, completed by hiring department
- IPS authorization letter
The steps to follow:
- Apply for and accept a job on campus.
- Get your job offer letter/employment verification form (completed by hiring department). For graduate students receiving an assistantship the offer letter may be acceptable in place of the form.
- Complete these forms for the hiring department:
- USCIS Form I-9
- IRS Form 8233
- IRS Form W-4
- MI Form MI-W4
- Social Security Form SS-5
- MTU Patent, Research, and Proprietary Rights Agreement
- Copy of I-20/DS-2019, passport, visa and I-94
- MTU Payroll Direct Deposit Authorization (optional)
- Bring the signed job offer letter and completed employment verification form to the International Programs and Services. We will provide an authorization letter for your job and instructions for receiving your required Social Security Number (SSN).
You Need to Know
Complete the J-1 Student On-Campus Employment Reporting Form before you start working. You are not allowed to be employed until you have completed reporting and paperwork responsibilities.