About On-Campus Employment

Who is eligible?

Student with a valid F-1 or J-1 (student) visa, and enrolled full-time (9 credits for Graduate students and 12 hours for Undergraduates) can work on campus up to 20 hours per week during the academic year, and full time (i.e., up to 40 hours per week) during breaks such as Thanksgiving break, winter break, spring break, and summer. This rule applies to supported students as well. 

Steps to follow

  1. Apply for and accept a job on-campus.
    • Request an employment verification form from the department that is hiring you. (For Graduate students receiving an assistantship, the offer letter may be acceptable in place of the form.)

  2. The hiring department will give you payroll forms they need you to fill out:
    • USCIS Form I-9
    • IRS Form 8233
    • IRS Form W-4
    • MI Form MI-W4
    • Social Security Form SS-5
    • MTU Patent, Research, and Proprietary Rights Agreement
    • MTU Payroll Direct Deposit Authorization (optional)

      It is the responsibility of the hiring department to procure these forms from the Financial Services and Human Resources pages.

  3. You need to apply for a US Social Security Number. This number is used for working in the US and tax purposes. To be eligible for a SS number in the USA, you must be employed, and you will need to:
    • Fill out the application for a Social Security card here. You would need to take the filled out form (hard copy) when you go to the SSA office for your appointment. IPS does not require this form.
    • You need to request a support letter from IPS by filling this Google form. Processing the support letter may take 2-3 working days. IPS will email you when your support letter has been processed, do not come to the IPS office and enquire about it before you receive the email. 

  4. Once you have both the employment verification form and the IPS support letter, you would need to take them, along with your I-20 or DS-2019 (whichever is applicable), passport (with the Visa page), and the filled-out social security application form to the Houghton Social Security Administration Office located at 902 Razorback Drive, suite 3. HoughtonMI - 49931. (You need to call them at +1-800-772-1213 and make an appointment before you go.)

Things to note

  • If you are a new student, you must wait to go to the Social Security office until IPS has activated your I-20. IPS normally activates all I-20s about two weeks after the start of each semester. If you go before that time, you will be turned away by the Social Security administration office.
  • If you are a J-1 student, you must complete the J-1 Student On-Campus Employment Reporting Form before you start working. You are not allowed to be employed until you have completed reporting and paperwork responsibilities.