International Programs and Services

Tax Assistance

All non-residents present in the U.S. under F-1, F-2, J-1, or J-2 nonimmigrant status must file Form 8843 every tax season by June 15, even if no income was earned. If taxable income was earned, the deadline is April 15 - send with your federal tax forms.

Most international students and scholars are expected to pay taxes on any income earned in the United States from the time they arrive in the country. Income can include salary, scholarships, fellowships, and money earned from US mutual funds or US bank accounts.

Taxes are reported by April 15 each year for the 12-month period beginning January 1 and ending December 31 in the previous year. Tax forms are filed with both the federal government, through the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and in the state where income was earned. Please see Financial Services and Operations for more information regarding tax prep and filing taxes. 

If you have questions, email us at We cannot offer professional tax advice, but we can refer you to appropriate people who can help you do it correctly.