Curricular Practical Training

CPT authorizes F-1 students to participate in temporary employment off campus that directly relates to their studies. CPT is:

  • linked to a specific course
  • includes university credits
  • limited to the specific employer and employment dates listed on your CPT application

You must be authorized by both Career Services AND IPS before you begin CPT. When your request is approved, you receive a new CPT I-20 that shows your permitted work dates and employer. 

The US government only authorizes CPT work for one semester at a time. If you have a multi-semester work opportunity, it is important that you follow instructions on the Career Services website one month before the end date of your CPT I-20. You will have to fill out the Google form for every semester. 

CPT can be part-time, which is 20 hours per week or less, or full-time, which is anything more than 20 hours.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)