F-1 students may work on campus up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and full time during the Thanksgiving break, winter break, spring break, and summer.
- Registered full-time in your program of study
- On -campus job offer letter/Employment Verification Form (completed by hiring department)
- IPS authorization letter
- You have been in the U.S. at least 10 days
Summary of steps:
- Student locates a job on campus.
- Student gets a job offer letter/Employment Verification Form (completed by hiring department). For graduate students receiving an assistantship the offer letter may be acceptable in place of this form.
- Student completes the necessary forms:
- USCIS Form I-9
- IRS Form 8233
- IRS Form W-4
- MI Form MI-W4
- Social Security Form SS-5
- MTU Patent, Research and Proprietary Rights Agreement
- MTU Payroll Direct Deposit Authorization (optional)
- Student makes black & white photocopies of immigration documents
- Student assembles employment application packet .
- Student takes the entire packet to hiring office .
- Student takes the signed job offer letter/Employment Verification Form (completed by hiring department) to the IPS Office for IPS authorization letter.
- Student goes to Social Security Office.
- Student takes Social Security receipt to hiring office.
- Student takes Social Security card to hiring office as soon as it is received.
J-1 Students must report employment BEFORE working by completing the J-1 Student On-Campus Employment Reporting Form