- M&M 402
- Assistant Professor, Biomedical Engineering
- Affiliated Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, The Ohio State University
- MS, Mechanical Engineering, The Ohio State University
- BE, Mechanical Engineering, The American University of Beirut
Dr. Hoda Hatoum obtained her BS degree in mechanical engineering from the American University of Beirut and her PhD degree from the Ohio State University (OSU). She was awarded the American Heart Association postdoctoral fellowship and right after graduation, she completed her postdoctoral training at the Ohio State University and at Georgia Institute of Technology. Her research focuses on tackling the complexity of: (a) structural heart biomechanics (adult and congenital); (b) patient-specific cardiovascular model development and in-vitro testing; (c) prosthetic heart valve engineering (surgical and transcatheter); (d) structure-function relationships of the heart in health and disease at the pediatric and adult stages; and (e) turbulence in blood flow in relation to blood damage; and (f) impact of arrhythmias and treatment approaches on cardiovascular flows. Dr. Hatoum has published in multiple journals spanning both clinical and bioengineering sides and given oral and poster presentations at national and international conferences. She has received several recognitions including the Presidential Graduate Fellowship from OSU, an invited talk at the Heart Valve Society, the best paper award from the Annals of Biomedical Engineering and she was a finalist in the American College of Cardiology Young Investigator Award 2021.
Links of Interest
- BE 4510 and 5510: Cardiovascular Engineering
- BE 3350: Introduction to Human Biomechanics
- Cardiovascular Biomechanics
- Cardiovascular Biofluids
- Fluid Mechanics
- Medical Devices
- Patient-Specific Modeling
- Asadbeygi, A., Lee, S., Kovalchin, J., & Hatoum, H. (2023). Effect of Beta Blockers on the Hemodynamics and Thrombotic Risk of Coronary Artery Aneurysms in Kawasaki Disease. Journal of Cardiovascular Translational Research, 1-10.
- Alkhouli, M., Hatoum, H., & Piazza, N. (2023). Computational Modeling to Guide Structural Heart Interventions: Measure Twice (or Thrice) but Cut Once. Cardiovascular Interventions.
- Esmailie, F., Hatoum, H., Thourani, V. H., & Dasi, L. P. (2023). The impact of local blood residence time in neo-sinus on post transcatheter aortic valve replacement subclinical leaflet thrombosis—a commentary. Interdisciplinary CardioVascular and Thoracic Surgery, 36(1), ivad012.
- Vogl, Brennan, Rajat Gadhave, Zhenyu Wang, Ahmed El Shaer, Alejandra Chavez Ponce, Mohamad Alkhouli, and Hoda Hatoum. "Effect of Aortic Curvature on Bioprosthetic Aortic Valve Performance." Journal of Biomechanics (2022): 111422.
- Alireza Asadbeygi, Simon Lee, John Kovalchin and Hoda Hatoum. Predicting Hemodynamic Indices in Coronary Artery Aneurysms Using Response Surface Method: An Application in Kawasaki Disease. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine. 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmpb
- Michael Biersmith, Nader Makki, Hoda Hatoum, Breandan Yeats, David Orsinelli, Konstantinos Boudoulas, Lakshmi Dasi, and Scott Lilly. Comparison of Catheterization Versus Echocardiographic Based Gradients in Balloon Expandable Versus Self Expanding Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation. The Journal of Invasive Cardiology 2022. https://www.hmpgloballearningn
etwork.com/site/jic/ comparison-catheterization- versus-echocardiographic- based-gradients-balloon- expandable
- Brennan J. Vogl, Yousef M. Darestani, Juan Crestanello, Brian Lindman, Mohamad Alkhouli and Hoda Hatoum. A Preliminary Study on the Usage of a Data-Driven Probabilistic Approach to Predict Valve Performance Under Different Physiological Conditions. Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 2022. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10439
- Shelley Chee-Mei Gooden, Hoda Hatoum, Konstantinos Dean Boudoulas, Mani A Vannan, Lakshmi P Dasi. Effects of MitraClip Therapy on Mitral Flow Patterns and Vortex Formation: An in vitro Study. Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 2022. DOI: 10.1007/s10439-022-02944-x.
- Hoda Hatoum, Milad Samaee, Janarthanan Sathananthan, Stephanie Sellers, Maximillian Kutting, Scott Lilly, Abdul Rahman Ihdayhid, Philipp Blanke, Jonathon Leispic, Vinod Thourani, and Lakshmi Dasi. Comparison of performance of self-expanding and balloon-expandable transcatheter aortic valves. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery Open, 2022. DOI: 10.1016/j.xjon.2022.04.015.
- Zhenyu Wang, Lakshmi Prasad Dasi and Hoda Hatoum. Controlling the Flow Separation in Heart Valves Using Vortex Generators. Annals of Biomedical Engineering (ABME), 2022. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10439
- Brennan Vogl, Ahmed El Shaer, Martin van Zyl, Ammar Killu, Mohamad Alkhouli and Hoda Hatoum. Effect of Catheter Ablation on the Hemodynamics of the Left Atrium. Journal of Interventional Cardiac Electrophysiology. 2022. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10840
- Hatoum H, Ahn S., Lilly S., Maureira P., Crestanello J., Thourani, V. and Dasi LP. Flow Dynamics of surgical and transcatheter aortic valves: Past to Present. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery Open. 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.xjon
- Brennan J. Vogl, Ahmed El Shaer, Juan A. Crestanello, Mohamad Alkhouli and Hoda Hatoum. Flow Dynamics in the Sinus and Downstream of a Third and Fourth Generation Balloon Expandable Transcatheter Aortic Valve. Journal of the mechanical behavior of biomedical materials (JMBBM) 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmbb
- Samaee M, Hatoum H, Biersmith M, Yeats B, Gooden S, Thourani VH, Hahn RT, Lilly SM, Yoganathan A, and Dasi LP. Gradient and Pressure Recovery of a Self-Expandable Transcatheter Aortic Valve Depends on Ascending Aorta Size: An In vitro Study. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery Open (JTCVS Open), 2021. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.xjon
- Brennan J. Vogl, Yousef M. Darestani, Scott M. Lilly, Mohamad Alkhouli, Vinod Thourani, Brian R. Lindman and Hoda Hatoum. Impact of Blood Pressure on Coronary Perfusion and Valvular Hemodynamics after Aortic Valve Replacement. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions. 2021. http://doi.org/10.1002/ccd.30052.
- Brennan J. Vogl, Nicholas R. Niemi, Leigh Griffiths, Mohamad Alkhouli and Hoda Hatoum. Impact of calcific aortic valve disease on valve mechanics. Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology (BMMB), 2021. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10237-021-01527-4.
- Hoda Hatoum, Shelley C.M. Gooden, Janarthanan Sathananthan, Stephanie Sellers, Maximillian Kutting, Philipp Marx, Scott M. Lilly, Abdul R. Ihdayhid, Vinod H. Thourani and Lakshmi Prasad Dasi. Neo-sinus and sinus flow after transcatheter aortic valve replacement of self-expanding and balloon-expandable valves. JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcin.2021.09.013
- Hatoum H, Singh-Gryzbon S, Esmailie F, Ruile P, Neumann FJ, Blanke P, Thourani VH, Yoganathan AP and Dasi LP. Predictive Model for Thrombus Formation after Transcatheter Valve Replacement. Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology (CVET), 2021. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13239-021-00596-x.
Hatoum H, Askegaard G., Iyer R and Dasi LP. Atrial and ventricular flows across a transcatheter mitral valve. Interactive CardioVascular and Thoracic Surgery. 2021. DOI: 10.1093/icvts/ivab032.
Hatoum H, Krishnamurthy R, Parthasarathy J, Flemister DC, Krull KM, Walter BA, Mery CM, Molossi S and Dasi LP. Flow Dynamics in Anomalous Aortic Origin of a Coronary Artery in Children: Importance of the Intramural Segment. Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2020.
Gooden S, Hatoum, H, Zhang, W, Boudoulas D, Dasi LP. “Multiple MitraClips: The Balancing Act between Pressure Gradient and Regurgitation” The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery (2020). (Accepted)
- Hatoum H, Dasi LP, and Vinod H. Thourani. “Surgical Aortic Valve Sizing: Imagine the Benefits of Imaging.” The Annals of Thoracic Surgery (2020). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2020.03.099.
- Hatoum H, Lilly S, Maureira P, Crestanello J and Dasi LP. Hatoum H, Lilly S, Maureira P, Crestanello J, Dasi LP. “Sinus Hemodynamics after Transcatheter Aortic Valve in Transcatheter Aortic Valve”. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery (2020), doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2020.02.016.
- Hatoum, Hoda, Shelley Gooden, Megan Heitkemper, Kevin M. Blum, Jason Zakko, Martin Bocks, Tai Yi et al. “Fetal Transcatheter Trileaflet Heart Valve Hemodynamics: Implications of Scaling on Valve Mechanics and Turbulence.” Annals of Biomedical Engineering (2020): 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10439-020-02475-3.
- Heitkemper, Megan, Srikrishna Sivakumar, Hoda Hatoum, Jennifer Dollery, Scott M. Lilly, and Lakshmi Prasad Dasi. “Simple 2D anatomical model to predict risk of coronary obstruction during transcatheter aortic valve replacement.” The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery (2020). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2020.01.085.
- Hatoum, Hoda, Rebecca T. Hahn, Scott Lilly, and Lakshmi Prasad Dasi. “Differences in Pressure Recovery Between Balloon Expandable and Self-expandable Transcatheter Aortic Valves.” Annals of Biomedical Engineering 48, no. 2 (2020): 860-867. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10439-019-02425-8.
- 04/01/2023 - 03/31/2025: “ERI: Fluid dynamics of non-Newtonian blood substitutes in heart valve applications”. $200,000. National Science Foundation (NSF). Award number: 2301649.
- 06/01/2022 – 05/31/2023: “Diagnosis and treatment of coronary artery aneurysms using machine learning methods”. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Foundation, awarded to PhD student Alireza Asadbeygi.
- 08/29/2022 – 08/28/2023: “Predicting adverse outcome after atrial fibrillation ablation using patient-specific flow assessment”. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Foundation, awarded to PhD student Brennan Vogl.
- 01/01/2022 – 12/31/2022: “Hemodynamic Factors Associated with Thromboembolic Risk in Kawasaki Disease”. Research Excellence Fund and the Health Research Institute at Michigan Technological University.
- 2019 – 2020: “Superhydrophobic leaflets with vortex generators to reduce turbulence in prosthetic heart valves”. $106,532.00. American Heart Association. Grant ID 19POST34380804.
- Vogl BJ, El Shaer A, Chavez Ponce A, Bavo A, De Beule M, Alkhouli M and Hatoum H. Predicting Device Related Thrombosis Using Computational Fluid Dynamics. Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics TCT 2022. Boston, MA. September 16 – 19 2022.
- Asadbeygi A, Lee S, Kovalchin J and Hatoum H. Comparison of Thrombotic Risk Between Coronary Artery Aneurysm and Coronary Ectasia Based on Hemodynamic Parameters. Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics TCT 2022. Boston, MA. September 16 – 19 2022.
- Brennan J. Vogl, Ahmed El Shaer, Alejandra Chavez Ponce, Alessandra Bavo, Matthieu De Beule, Mohamad Alkhouli, and Hoda Hatoum. Predicting Device Related Thrombosis Using Computational Fluid Dynamics. BMES 2022 Conference, San Antonio, TX, 2022.
- Vogl B, Darestani Y, Crestanello J, Lindman B, Alkhouli M, and Hatoum H. Predicting Valve Performance Using Logistic Regression. 2022 Summer Biomechanics, Bioengineering, and Biotransport Conference (SB3C2022), Maryland, USA, June 20-23, 2022.
- Vogl B, Gadhave R, Wang Z, El Shaer A, Crestanello J, Alkhouli M, Hatoum H. Effect of Aortic Curvature On Bioprosthetic Aortic Valve Performance. 2022 Summer Biomechanics, Bioengineering, and Biotransport Conference (SB3C2022), Maryland, USA, June 20-23, 2022.
- Asadbeygi A, Lee S, Kovalchin J and Hatoum H. Predicting Hemodynamic Indices in Coronary Artery Aneurysms Using Response Surface Method: An Application in Kawasaki Disease. SB3C: Summer Biomechanics, Bioengineering, and Biotransport, Maryland, USA, June 20-23, 2022.
- Hatoum H, Samaee M, Sathananthan J, Sellers S, Kuetting M, Lilly S, Ihdayhid A, Blanke P, Leipsic J, Thourani V, and Dasi LP. Flow Dynamic Differences Between Self-Expanding and Balloon Expandable Transcatheter Aortic Valves. 2022 Summer Biomechanics, Bioengineering, and Biotransport Conference (SB3C2022), Maryland, USA, June 20-23, 2022.
- Vogl BJ, Lilly SM, Thourani VH, Alkhouli MA, Lindman BR and Hatoum H. Impact Of Blood Pressure Conditions On Coronary Perfusion And Hemodynamics After Aortic Valve Replacement. Heart Valve Society Conference (HVS), 2022, Miami, Florida.
- Brennan J. Vogl, Ahmed El Shaer, Mohamad A. Alkhouli, and Hoda Hatoum. Hemodynamic Assessment Of The New Generation Balloon Expandable Transcatheter Aortic Valve (BMES 2021, Orlando, Florida, 6 – 9 October, 2021).
- Hoda Hatoum, Shelley Gooden, Yasaman Farsiani, Milad Samaee, Janarthanan Sathananthan, Scott Lilly, Abul Rahman Ihdayhid, Vinod Thourani, and Lakshmi Prasad Dasi. Neo-Sinus and Sinus Flows After Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation of Evolut, SAPIEN 3, Acurate Neo and Allegra (SB3C 2021, Virtual).
- Hatoum, H. Novel Predictive Model For Leaflet Thrombosis in Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. American College of Cardiology (ACC) 2021, Young Investigator Award. April 30, 2021.
- Biersmith M, Alston M, Makki N, Hatoum H, Yeats B, Orsinelli D, Boudoulas K, Dasi L, Lilly S. Comparison of Catheterization Versus Echocardiographic Based Gradients in Balloon Expandable Versus Self Expanding TAVR. Society for Cardiovascular Angiography & Intervention (SCAI), 2021, Virtual.
- Hoda Hatoum, Shelley Gooden, Megan Heitkemper, Kevin Blum, Jason Zakko, Martin Bocks, Tai Yi, Yen-Lin Wu, Yadong Wang, Christopher Breuer, Lakshmi Dasi. Implications of Hemodynamics on The Sizing of A Fetal Transcatheter Trileaflet Heart Valve. BMES, 2020. (Virtual)
- Breandan Yeats, Sri Krishna Sivakumar, Hoda Hatoum, Vinod Thourani, Scott Lilly, Susan O'Neil, Lakshmi Dasi. Quantifying the Relationship Between Aortic Cusp Asymmetry, Aortic Arch And Calcific Aortic Valve Disease. BMES, 2020. (Virtual)
- H. Hatoum. Blood damage after transcatheter valve replacement: a fluids perspective. Midwest Heart Valve Day. September 23, 2020.
- H. Hatoum, G. Askegaard, R. Iyer, and L.P. Dasi. Atrial and Ventricular Flows Across a Transcatheter Mitral Valve. SB3C 2020. (Virtual)
- H. Hatoum, P. Maureira, J. Crestanello, S. Lilly and L.P. Dasi. Fluid Mechanics of Aortic Heart Valves: 70 Years of Evolution. SB3C 2020. (Virtual)
- H. Hatoum, S. Gooden, M. Heitkemper, K. Blum, J. Zakko, M. Bocks, T. Yi, Y.L. Wu, Y. Wang, C.K. Breuer and L.P. Dasi. Implications of Scaling on Trileaflet Fetal Valve Hemodynamics. SB3C 2020. (Virtual)
- H. Hatoum, R. Krishnamurthy, J. Parthasarathy, D.C. Flemister, C.M. Krull, B.A.Walter, C. Mery, S. Molossi and L.P. Dasi. Patient-Specific Hemodynamic Assessment of Anomalous Aortic Origin of a Coronary Artery (AAOCA) in Children. SB3C 2020. (Virtual)
- Hatoum H, Kota A, Bark D, Popat K and Dasi LP. Impact of superhydrophobicity on prosthetic valve hemodynamics and turbulence. The 17th international conference on Biomedical Engineering. Singapore, December 9-12, 2019.
- Hatoum H and Dasi LP. Aortic Sinus Vortex Spatio-Temporal Variations With Leaflet Calcification. SB3C: Summer Biomechanics, Bioengineering, and Biotransport, Seven Springs, Pennsylvania, USA, June 25-28, 2019.