Financial Services and Operations

Air Transportation

Commercial Airlines

Employees have two options for purchasing airline tickets:  payment with a University purchasing card or personal credit card.

The preferred method to purchase airline tickets for business travel is the University purchasing card. Personal credit cards may also be used. A traveler may purchase airline tickets through Superior Travel or other well-known travel agency or online travel site. Superior Travel charges a service fee for travel accommodations made through them.

A valid picture ID is required at the departing airport.

University Purchasing Card

To purchase an airline ticket using a University purchasing card, use the following procedure:

  1. Make travel arrangements using a University purchasing card.
  2. Airline tickets should be allocated to E711 on a Concur Travel Expense Report if the travel is for the card holder or a Concur Purchasing Card Report if the travel is for another employee (not the card holder), student or guest.
    1. Enter the following information in the description field: Who/When/Where/Why:
      1. Who - Traveler's name
      2. When - Dates of Travel
      3. Where - Destination
      4. Why - Business purpose of travel
  3. Retain original detailed receipts and attach to the airline expense on the Concur report.

Personal Credit Card

To purchase an airline ticket using a personal credit card, use the following procedure:

  1. Make travel arrangements using your personal credit card.
  2. Upon completion of travel, submit a Concur Travel Expense Report allocating all airline expenses to E711.
  3. Attach a detailed proof of payment (e.g., online payment confirmation or credit card statement).
  4. If the traveler prefers to be reimbursed prior to travel, a Concur Travel Expense Report may be submitted prior to the travel start date.

Travel by commercial airlines should be on the most reasonably priced flights available between the points of departure and destination.

The university allows travelers to retain their frequent flyer* miles earned on business trips.

*There is no reimbursement for frequent flyer miles, personal vouchers, or certificates.

Travel to and from the Airport

Travelers will be reimbursed for mileage (at the current rate) from their place of work to the airport and for the return trip from the airport to their place of work. Actual parking fees will be paid without receipts if the fees are less than $10 per day.

If available and practical, public transportation to and from all other airports should be used.

Chartered Aircraft

All requests for the use of chartered aircraft must be submitted to the Purchasing Department. Charges incurred for chartered aircraft obtained in any other fashion will not be reimbursed to the person making such arrangements. Receipts need not be obtained for aircraft engaged in this manner, since charges will be billed directly to the University. Charters will only be made with FAA-certified charter operators.


      1. An employee needing to charter an aircraft submits a Purchase Requisition form to the Purchasing Department, indicating the following:
        • Names of all passengers
        • Suggested vendor
        • Destination
        • Departure date and time
        • Return date and time
      2. The Purchasing Manager will provide an estimate of charges upon request.

Privately Owned Aircraft

Employees may not travel by privately owned aircraft on University business. Employees who are pilots or crew members of private aircraft traveling on University-related business are not covered by the University's travel insurance policy.