Michigan Technological University began life as the Michigan Mining School in Houghton back in 1885. Established by the state of Michigan to train mining engineers to better operate the local copper mines, we began our journey with four faculty members and twenty-three students.
Today, Michigan Tech serves more than 7,074 students. The University offers educational excellence in many fields of engineering—as well as the arts, humanities, and social sciences, business and economics, computing, forestry, environmental science, the sciences, and technology.
The College of Engineering currently consists of nine separate academic departments, with 4,085 students, 167 full time faculty, and dozens of regular staff.
Enrollment and Graduation Data
|College of Engineering|
|Total student enrollment||4,085|
|data from 2022–23|
About 90 percent of Michigan Tech students receive financial assistance—totaling more than $73 million per year—in the form of scholarships, grants, loans, and part-time student employment.
- 80-100% of engineering students are employed within their field of study, enlist in the military or are enrolled in graduate school within six months of graduation.
- Over 1,200 employers come to campus each year to recruit students.
- 962 students attended five CareerFEST events in fall 2022.
- Full-time faculty: Total 181
- Full professors: 50
- Associate professors: 37
- Assistant professors: 37
- Instructors: 14
- Teaching professors: 29
- Research faculty: 14
Endowed Chairs, Distinguished Professorships, and University Professorships
- Dr. Jeana L. Collins, Gary Sparrow Endowed Faculty Fellow in Chemical Engineering
- Dr. Timothy C. Eisele, Chemical Engineering Endowed Faculty Fellow
- Dr. Caryn Heldt, James and Lorna Mack Endowed Chair of Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering
- Dr. David R. Shonnard, Robbins Chair in Sustainable Use of Materials
- Open, Endowed Chemical Engineering Safety chair: Dow Chemical Foundation
- Open, James and Lorna Mack Endowed Chair in Continuous Processing
- Dr. David Watkins, Distinguished Professor, Civil, Environmental, and Geospatial Engineering
- Dr. Zhanping You, Distinguished Professor, Transportation Engineering
- Dr. Timothy J. Schulz, University Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Snehamoy Chatterjee, Witte Family Endowed Faculty Fellow in Mining Engineering
- Dr. Jeremy Shannon, Carl G. Schwenk Endowed Faculty Fellow in Applied Geophysics
- Dr. Jaroslaw W. Drelich, Distinguished Professor, Materials Science and Engineering
- Dr. Yun Hang Hu, Charles and Carroll McArthur Professorship in Materials Science and Engineering
- Dr. Walter Milligan, Franklin M. St. John Professor in Materials Science and Engineering
- Dr. Paul G. Sanders, Patrick Horvath Endowed Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
- Dr. Jeff Allen, John F. and Joan M. Calder Endowed Professor in Mechanical Engineering -Engineering Mechanics
- Dr. William Endres, Richard and Elizabeth Henes Professor (Mechanical Engineering)
- Dr. Lyon B. King, Richard and Elizabeth Henes Endowed Professor (Space Systems)
- Dr. Jeff Naber, Richard and Elizabeth Henes Endowed Professor (Energy Systems)
- Dr. Greg Odegard, John O. Hallquist Endowed Chair in Computational Mechanics
- Dr. Gordon Parker, John and Cathi Drake Endowed Chair in Mechanical Engineering
- Dr. Fernando Ponta, Richard and Elizabeth Henes Professor (Wind Energy)
- Open, Richard and Elizabeth Henes Associate Professor in Mechanical Engineering