Welcome to Husky Motors
We offer a variety of vehicle rental options to all faculty, staff, and students for official University-related travel. Husky Motors rentals are covered by University insurance and WEX gas cards are provided in each vehicle—fuel charges incurred during a rental are added to your final rental bill.
New Fee Structure beginning July 1, 2023
Husky Motors rentals are covered by University insurance and WEX gas cards are provided in each vehicle—fuel charges incurred during a rental are added to your final rental bill.
|Husky Motors Vehicle Options||Daily Fee*||Monthly Fee|
|Passenger (12-15) and Cargo Vans†||$100||$1000|
Make reservations through FleetCommander.
Reserve a Vehicle FAQ
- Set up an approved account. Go to Fleet Commander. Click Sign Up Now at the bottom of the left navigation bar under Information. Fill out and submit the form. Husky Motors checks eligibility requirements for driving a university vehicle and approves the request.
- Once you have been notified that your account has been approved, review and agree to the Husky Motors Policies and Procedures.
Reserve a vehicle. Log into FleetCommander. Go to Make Reservation at the top of the left navigation bar under Vehicle Use.
NOTE: Student Organizations that want to rent a vehicle need to have a Student Organization Vehicle Request Form approved by the Student Leadership and Involvement Office—Husky Motors can't rent a vehicle to you without it.
- Change or update your reservation, including the driver or time period using My Schedule, in the left navigation. It shows all your requested reservations—choose the one you want to update.
- To pick up the vehicle, the primary driver on the reservation may sign out electronically from the Fleetcommander Kiosk at the Husky Motors Office using their ISO username and password.
- To return the vehicle, the primary driver must check it back in with the ending mileage from your trip and return the keys to the kiosk.
- More questions? Refer to our detailed instructions.
If someone other than the driver designated on your reservation confirmation is going to pick up or return the vehicle, you must update the reservation. If you don't, you will not be able to sign in or out, or receive or return keys.
All drivers must be registered in Fleetcommander and be included on your rental reservation to be an approved driver during your rental.
Motor Vehicle Record (MVR)
Given the requirements of our insurance provider the University has developed the following Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) verification procedure for all students, faculty, or staff members who wish to drive a Husky Motor owned vehicle.
- Prior to driving a Husky Motors owned vehicle all students, staff, and faculty will
need to sign up in FleetCommander. By creating an account in FleetCommander, you give
Husky Motors authorization to verify the MVR for your account. Users MVR must be
verified to drive or rent a vehicle from Husky Motors. As soon as the MVR is obtained
and evaluated, the driver will be notified if they will not be permitted to operate
the University owned vehicle.
- All drivers are required to have no more than a total combination of five (5) current points in the Michigan (or any other) point system, with no single infraction totaling more than three (3) points.
- No one under the age of 18 years will be permitted to drive any University owned vehicle, or transport other students, faculty, or staff on University sanctioned or sponsored events.
- Anyone wishing to drive a 12-15 passenger van must also complete and pass an online van safety course.
- MVR reviews will be conducted at least once per academic year for anyone wishing to drive a University owned or leased vehicle.
Please read the updated Policies and Procedures prior to renting and driving a vehicle from Husky Motors
Additional Services and Fees
For your convenience, our office can provide vehicle deliveries by request as part of your reservation, including to the Houghton County Memorial Airport for departing and arriving guests and employees. The $15 one-way fee is added to the rental bill.
If you return a vehicle to us without a full gas tank, a $6.50 per gallon fee is added to your rental bill.
If you pick up a vehicle from Husky Motors that does not have a full gas tank, fill up at a local gas station with your WEX card right away, and let us know when you return the vehicle. Leave a note under comments on the key kiosk: "Filled tank, was not full when picked up."