After an Incident of Sexual Assault / Violence

If you are the victim of gender-based violence, rape, acquaintance rape, sexual assault, sexual harassment, stalking, dating violence, or domestic violence, some or all of these safety suggestions may guide you after an incident has occurred.

  • Go to a safe place and speak with someone you trust. Tell this person what happened. If there is any immediate danger, call 911.
  • Consider securing immediate professional support, such as counselors and victim advocates, to assist you in the crisis:
  • For your safety and well-being, immediate medical attention is encouraged. Further, being examined as soon as possible is important in the case of rape or sexual assault, ideally within 120 hours. Local health care can be provided by:
    • LifePoint Health (UP Health System - Portage) | 500 Campus Drive, Hancock MI or 906-483-1000 
      • 24/7 assistance available in the UP Health Portage Emergency Room 
    • LifePoint Health (UP Health System - University Center) | 600 MacInnes Drive, Houghton MI or 906-483-1860
    • Aspirus Clinic | 1000 Cedar Street Houghton, MI or 906-487-1710
  • Even after the immediate crisis has passed, and if you have not done so, consider seeking support from a counselor within the Center for Student Mental Health and Well Being, Northstar EAP Employee Assistance Program, and/or Dial Help.
  • Contact the Title IX Coordinator or Public Safety and Police Services to report the incident and/or request assistance with safety concerns. Both will also assist in any needed advocacy for students and employees who wish to obtain protective or restraining orders from local authorities.
  • Michigan Tech can offer supportive measures, including but not limited to reasonable academic supports, changes to living/work arrangements, transportation resources or modifications, escorts, no contact orders, counseling services access, and other supports and resources as needed by a complainant.