The Title IX Coordinator is responsible for monitoring and oversight of overall implementation of Title IX compliance at the University, including coordination of training, education, communications, and the administration of complaint procedures for faculty, staff, students, and other members of the University community. Specific responsibilities include administrative response to reports and Formal Complaints of sexual harassment. The Title IX Coordinator is available to discuss the grievance process, coordinate supportive measures, explain Michigan Tech policies and procedures, and provide education on relevant issues.
Complaints may include sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual misconduct, dating violence, domestic violence, stalking, and gender discrimination. Click here for definitions of prohibited conduct.
A student or employee should contact the Title IX Coordinator in order to:
- Report an incident of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual misconduct, dating violence, domestic violence, stalking or gender discrimination.
- Notify the University of an incident, policy, or procedure that may raise potential Title IX concerns.
- Obtain information regarding the options available in response to reports of potential sex discrimination.
- Understand the difference between private and confidential resources, and the resources and support services available to students and employees who are involved in Title IX related incidents.
- Ask questions about the University's policies and procedures related to sex discrimination.
For assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 906-487-3310.
For Gender Equity in Athletics and Recreation
If you have complaints regarding gender equity in Michigan Tech athletics and recreation programs, contact the Director of Athletics and Recreation/Title IX Coordinator for Gender Equity in Athletics, who oversees the coaches, staff, student-athletes, and students in these area. Incidents that involve sexual harassment will be referred to the University Title IX Coordinator.
Kirsti Arko, PhD
- Director, Title IX
- Associate Director, Institutional Equity
- Oversee all components relative to Title IX and the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)
- Develop educational programs for students and employees specific to Title IX
- Executive Director, Institutional Equity
- Title IX Deputy Coordinator
- Equal Opportunity Officer
- Oversee the office of Institutional Equity
- Ensure completion of federal and state compliance requirements related to anti-discrimination, harassment and retaliation, and sexual misconduct
- ADA/504 Coordinator
- Assistant Director, Institutional Equity
- Title IX Deputy Coordinator
- ADA Accommodations for Employees
- Budget Manager
- Monitors faculty and staff hires
- Leads online employee and student training systems
Training Materials for Title IX Personnel: § 106.45(b)(1)(iii) & § 106.45(b)(10)(i)(D)
In accordance with the Office of Civil Rights Title IX Rule, the training materials for all Title IX personnel can be found here.
Michigan Tech TIX Staff
Those who serve in these roles include full time Title IX staff, contracted Title IX staff, and Michigan Tech employees who serve as volunteers in Title IX roles:
- TIX Coordinator
- TIX Deputy Coordinators
- TIX Investigators
- TIX Decision-Makers
- TIX Informal Resolution Facilitators
- TIX Appellate Officers
- TIX Advisors - at Michigan Tech (not required to be trained, but we have provided training to those advisors who are employees of Michigan Tech)
This list will be updated periodically as our staff continues ongoing training.
2021-2022 Academic Year
2021 Coordinator Refresher and Update
2021 Investigator Refresher and Update
2021 Decision-Maker Refresher and Update
Supplemental Training and Updates (8-26-2021)
Title IX Putting Policy Into Practice Series
Trauma Informed Practices
ICS Title IX Training for Michigan Tech Staff - August 2021
Institutional Compliance Solutions Title IX U Courses
- Title IX 101: https://icslawyer.com/posting-for-review-higher-ed-title-ix-101/
Title IX Investigator Level 1: https://icslawyer.com/posting-for-review-higher-ed-title-ix-investigator-level-1/
Decision-Maker Level 1: https://icslawyer.com/posting-for-review-higher-ed-title-ix-decision-maker-level-1/
Title IX Coordinator: https://icslawyer.com/posting-for-review-higher-ed-title-ix-coordinator/
Title IX Advisor: https://icslawyer.com/posting-for-review-higher-ed-title-ix-advisor/
Title IX Informal Resolution: https://icslawyer.com/posting-for-review-higher-ed-title-ix-informal-resolution/
Title IX Decision-Maker Appeals: https://icslawyer.com/posting-for-review-higher-ed-title-ix-appellate-decision-maker/
2020-2021 Academic Year
Institutional Compliance Solutions Breakdown of the New Title IX Regulations
Institutional Compliance Solutions Title IX Investigator - Level 1
Institutional Compliance Solutions Title IX Decision Maker - Level 1
Institutional Compliance Solutions Title IX Decision Maker - Level 2
Institutional Compliance Solutions: Higher Ed Year End Review
Institutional Compliance Solutions: Domestic Violence Level 1
ICS Title IX Training for Michigan Tech Staff - September 2020
An important note from Institutional Compliance Solutions: Your institution or school may post training material on its website only if it has been used to train the institution or school’s Title IX personnel, and only to the extent necessary to comply with Title IX. Any other use or effort to republish, reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, display, disclose, or distribute this material shall constitute infringement. © 2020 Institutional Compliance Solutions All rights reserved.