Deadline: October 1, 2020 at 4 p.m.
Award Period: All awards will begin January 1. The award duration is 12 months.
Deadline: March 4, 2021 at 4 p.m.
Award Period: All awards will begin July 1. The award duration is 12 months.
Please submit your proposal electronically in a single pdf file to email@example.com. Proposals that do not have all required elements, do not follow the required proposal format, or are submitted as multiple files will be rejected without review. Late submissions will be rejected without review.
With an expectation of a heavy volume of submissions for this competition, please adhere to all guidelines including proposal format.
Research Excellence Fund (REF) awards will provide grants in six categories:
- Research Seed Grants (REF-RS)
- Research Seed Grants are designed to provide non tenured tenure-track academic faculty and research faculty who have been employed for less than six years with resources to develop an externally supported research program.
- Portage Health Foundation Research Seed Grants (PHF-REF-RS)
- PHF Research Seed Grants are also designed to provide untenured tenure-track academic faculty and research faculty who have been employed for less than six years with resources to develop an externally supported research program. There is an additional requirement that the research must be relevant to advancing human health.
- Portage Health Infrastructure Enhancement (PHF-REF-IE)
- Portage Health Foundation REF Infrastructure Enhancement (PHF-REF-IE) grants are designed to provide Departments and Research Centers/Institutes with resources to develop the infrastructure necessary to support health-related sponsored research and graduate student education. Funded projects will typically focus on acquisition of equipment, enhancement of laboratory facilities, or enhancement of administrative support structure to expand the research capability of the unit
- Portage Health Foundation Mid-Career (PHF-REF-MC)
- Portage Health foundation Mid-Career (PHF-REF-MC) awards are designed to support the health-related research of mid-career researchers.
- Scholarship & Creativity Grants (REF-SCG)
- The REF Scholarship and Creativity Grant (SCG) provides support to encourage faculty to engage in scholarly research, learning, and creative activities to enhance professional development. SCG awards support scholarly projects undertaken by faculty in disciplines with limited access to external research funding. These are primarily found in the Departments of Humanities, Social Sciences, Visual and Performing Arts, the Learning Science faculty of the Department of Cognitive and Learning Sciences, and in the College of Business.
- Commercialization Milestone Grants (REF-CMG)
- To be eligible for a Commercialization Milestone Grant the technology to be commercialized must be the subject of an invention disclosure submitted to the Office of Innovation & Commercialization by Michigan Tech faculty, staff, or students. The technology should present opportunities for proprietary protection that provide for a sustainable competitive advantage against competing alternatives.