International Programs and Services

When Optional Practical Training Ends

If you did not apply or are not eligible for OPT STEM Extension, you have a 60-day grace period after your OPT expires to prepare for departure, or change to another status.

You might be eligible for a Cap-Gap if you are changing to an H-1B visa with an October 1 start date.

Students who do not exceed the 90- or 120-day unemployment limit, and who report their work status to International Programs and Services, are automatically granted a 60-day grace period after the end date listed on their Employment Authorization Document (EAD card).

You Need to Know

The grace period only covers travel in the United States. You cannot leave the country, even to Canada or Mexico, and re-enter using your current I-20.

Within the 60-day grace period, you can: